Fairfield Defeats Marist on Goal with 18 Seconds Left

FAIRFIELD, Conn. Chloe Mangan (Sayville, N.Y.) won the second to last draw control and went right to the cage to net the game-winning tally with 18 seconds remaining as Fairfield defeated Marist, 9-8, on Lessing Field in a MAAC contest. The victory improves the Stags to 6-6 on the year and 1-1 in the MAAC, while the Red Foxes fall to 4-8 overall and 1-1 in league play.

The Stags took an 8-6 lead on Jenna Slowey's (Moorestown, N.J.) second goal of the game with 2:11 to play in the second half. That remained the margin until the final minute of action. The Red Foxes caused a turnover in their own end and went the length of the field where Jamie Romano found the back of the net with 43 seconds to play. Nine seconds later Ashley Miller fed Allison Gionta for the game-tying goal and set up the Mangan game-winner.

Fairfield fell behind early as Miller netted a free position shot 68 seconds into the game, but that was the only time the Stags trailed all afternoon. Slowey tied the score at the 19:57 mark as the Stags began a five goal run. Mangan scored at the 18:26 mark to put Fairfield ahead 2-1 and was followed just under five minutes later by Amanda Best (Schenectady, N.Y.) for the 3-1 lead.

Jenna Fuchs (Garden City, N.Y.) scored consecutive goals, 58 seconds apart, as Fairfield built a 5- 1 edge with 9:28 to play before halftime. Amanda Tuck ended the Stags run and drew Marist within three with her tally with 3:59 to play in the first and the game went to intermission with Fairfield leading 5-2.

Best put the Stags back up by four goals, 6-2, with a free position goal at the 23:44 mark of the second half. Marist scored the next three goals in a 5:05 span to close within one, 6-5 with 15:23 remaining. Jamie Leone (Massapequa Park, N.Y.) ended the run with an unassisted goal at the 8:22 mark, which was followed 66 seconds later by a Marist goal from Kirsten Viscount to make the Stags lead once again and setup the final flurry of goals.

The Stags had five players each record two points in the game, with Best, Fuchs, Mangan and Slowey all scoring twice and Leone adding a goal and an assist. The Stags defense was again backstopped by Katie Keenan (Wantagh, N.Y.) who made four saves, while Kerry Lowth (Northport, N.Y.) recorded three of the team's eight caused turnovers.

Marist was paced by the three points, two goals each, of Gionta and Miller, and had five different players score a goal. Ashley Casiano made four saves in net for the Red Foxes, who committed 26 turnovers and cleared 9-14. Marist was 12 draw controls with Romano wining six, one less than the Stags won as a team.

Fairfield is back in action on Saturday when it travels to MAAC foe Niagara.

* * * *

FAIRFIELD, Conn. In a contest where Fairfield twice had four-goal leads, Marist fought hard throughout and would eventually knot the game at 8-8 before losing on a heart-breaking last second goal.

Senior Ashley Miller (Montville, N.J.) and freshman Allison Gionta (Eastport, N.Y.) led Marist's offensive effort with three points each, while sophomore Christine Astarita (Kennett Square, N.Y.) and senior Jessica Irvine (Hauppauge, N.Y.) led a stout defense with five combined turnovers.

After Miller shot the Red Foxes out to an early 1-0 lead with a successful free-position conversion, the host Stags would run off a 5-0 goal streak to take a 5-1 lead into the final minutes of the first half.

With just four minutes left in the opening period, junior Tierney Larson (Fairfield, Conn.) would find senior Amanda Tuck (Mamaroneck, N.Y.) for Marist's second goal of the game.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website