Marist Comes Back But Falls Late to Delaware

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. The University of Delaware scored three goals in the fourth quarter, including the game-winner with 1:53 left to defeat Marist, 8-7, Wednesday afternoon at Tenney Stadium.

Mike Begley (Brookeville, Md.) and Jim Marks (Camillus, N.Y.) each scored two goals and Drew Nesmith (Montclair, N.J.) had a pair of assists. Connor Rice (Penfield, N.Y.), Jack Doherty (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) and Aedan Herman (Stafford, Va.) also all scored once. Dave Scarcello (Buffalo, N.Y.) tied a career-high with 12 saves in net for the Red Foxes.

Marist (7-2, 3-0 MAAC) came out a bit slow in the first quarter, falling behind 4-1 after the first 15 minutes. Begley scored an unassisted tally at the 5:46 mark of the opening period to get the Red Foxes on the board after Delaware (3-8, 0-3 CAA) had scored twice in a 43 second span to take a quick 2-0 lead.

After the Blue Hens scored with 14 seconds left in the first quarter, the Marist defense kept Delaware scoreless for the next 23:27. Goals by Marks and Begley, with the latter being assisted by Nesmith, brought the Red Foxes within one at 4-3 at the midway point.

Delaware won the face-off to open the third quarter, but promptly turned it over and Gannon Osborn (Canandaigua, N.Y.) scooped up the ground ball and fed it to Patrick Eaker (Redding, Conn.). He ran the length of the field for the clear and fed Doherty at the side of the net. Doherty stepped around a defenseman and buried his shot low into the back of the net to tie the score at four just 31 seconds into the quarter.

Nesmith found Marks for his second goal of the game at the 7:55 mark to give the Red Foxes their first lead of the game at 5-4.

Just 1:08 later however, Delaware knotted things back up at five.

Rice and Herman scored twice in a 1:26 span, both coming on 30-second warnings, to give Marist a 7-5 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

Delaware scored twice in the first 3:30 of the final period to tie the score at seven before scoring the game-winner late.

Marist will rest this weekend before returning to the field next Saturday, April 13 when it travels to Jacksonville for a conference game. The Dolphins are currently tied with the Red Foxes at the top of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) with a 3-0 record.

* * * *

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. A new month meant a change in fortunes for Delaware Wednesday afternoon as the Blue Hens finally came out on top in a one-goal game, defeating host Marist, 8-7, behind a four-goal effort from senior midfielder Nick Diachenko.

This time it was the Blue Hens (3-8) putting together the fourth-quarter rally as Delaware outscored the Red Foxes 3-0 during the final stanza with Diachenko's fourth tally of the day with 1:53 remaining resulting in the game-winner.

Delaware, which entered the game 0-5 in one-goal contests this season, snapped a three-game losing streak while Marist (7-2) lost for just the second time this season and had a two-game win streak come to an end.

Diachenko, who netted his sixth career hat trick, led the Blue Hen offense while Danny Keane also scored two goals and Brian Kormondy added a goal and an assist. Tyler Barbarich won 10 of 18 faceoffs and freshman goalkeeper Conor Peaks, making just his third career start, stopped 10 shots to earn his first career victory.

Marist, which was receiving votes in the USILA Top 20 poll and had wins over the likes of Stony Brook and Towson earlier this season, got two goals each from Mike Begley and Jim Marks.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website