Camels Storm to Early Lead to Down Hawks

NEW LONDON, Conn.-Connecticut College stormed out to an 8-0 halftime advantage and went on to defeat Roger Williams 11-4 on the Artificial Turf at Silfen Field Thursday night.

The Camels put an end to a four game slide and improve their record to 3-7 with the triumph, while the Hawks (5-5) had their three game winning streak snapped.

Senior midfielder Bri Miller (Sudbury, Mass.) had four goals and an assist to lead the Camels. Junior Lowell Abbott (Manchester, Mass.) chipped in with four goals, two ground balls and two caused turnovers. Taylor Thomas (Needham, Mass.) sandwiched a goal around two assists for the winning side.

Caroline Moore (Ridgewood, N.J.) and Heidi Halsted (Mill Valley, Calif.) chipped in with scores for the winning side. Caitlin Cataldo (Orange, Conn.) logged the opening half of action for the Camels without having to record a stop. Kelsey Burke (Atlanta, Ga.) made five saves in the second stanza.

Haley Dumke (Scarsdale, N.Y.) added a pair of ground balls and a caused turnover to lead the defense. The visitors had scored 53 goals in their previous three wins before they were effectively shut down by the Camel defense Thursday night.

Roger Williams University sophomores Kristen Pingree (Georgetown, Mass.) and Kelsey Rahilly (East Longmeadow, Mass.) scored two goals each for the visitors.

Deven Machette (Norwalk, Conn.) chipped in with four ground balls, one draw and one assist. Senior Justine Sullivan (Norwell, Mass.) made six saves in the cage to go with a game-best five ground balls.

Halsted opened the scoring when she executed on a nifty looking wraparound move 1:12 into regulation. Just 27 seconds later, Thomas buried a bounce shot to extend the lead. Abbott followed with the next two goals to make it a 4-0 game with 16:48 remaining.

The Camels continued to execute with Miller scoring three of the next four goals, two of the coming on free positions and the hosts enjoyed an 8-0 advantage at the break.

Rahilly and Pingree scored goals for the visitors 52 seconds apart to make it an 8-2 game with 23:45 remaining in regulation. But Abbott and Miller answered with the next two goals coming just 40 seconds apart to push the lead back to 10-2 in favor of the hosts.

The Camels were able to hold on for the 11-4 triumph.

Connecticut College held a 20-to-12 advantage in shots and enjoyed a 17-14 edge in ground balls.


Create a free lacrosse website