Wesleyan Scores at the Buzzer to Nip Colby

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (April 6) - Sophomore Quentin DellaFera caught a pass from junior Graham Macnab and deposited a high shot into the Colby net with 0.1 seconds left in the game to lift homestanding Wesleyan to a 13-12 victory here today.

The goal, DellaFera's only one of the game and sixth of the year, capped a ferocious Wesleyan comeback as the Cardinals trailed the Mules, 11-7, with 10:54 to go in the fourth quarter but outscored the Mules, 6-1, over the closing 8:48. Wesleyan last led in the game, 2-1, in the first period.

Colby, which got five goals from senior John Jennings, used a three-goal burst between the end of the first period and the middle of the second period to break a 3-3 tie and assume a 6-3 lead. Wesleyan closed to 6-5 but Colby got the final marker of the half for a 7-5 halftime edge. Colby took an 8-7 margin into the final 15 minutes.

Another three-goal Mule burst gave the visitors the game's largest lead at 11-7. Jennings, who upped his season total to 18 goals, scored on a pair of high shots at 14:01 and 11:53 before a diving shot from leading scorer senior Ian Deveau at 10:54 pushed the lead to four goals. A pair of Wesleyan goals from junior Aidan Daniell and sophomore David Murphy, who finished with three goals and an assist to lead Wesleyan, 47 seconds apart made it an 11-9 game with 8:01 left.

When junior Mike Giambanco bounced one in at 4:48 for the Cardinals, it was an 11-10 game. Deveau got his 24th of the year at 4:29 to push the Colby lead back to two at 12-10. Wesleyan tied the game on Macnab's second goal (he finished with two goals and two assists) at 2:41 and the team-leading 16th goal of the season from junior Remy Lieberman at 2:25.

Each team had possessions in the final minutes and it appeared Colby would get the last chance to break the tie after getting possession in its own end with :48 left and quickly clearing to the offensive zone and calling timeout with :35 on the clock.

Colby tied to penetrate from the right side and Wesleyan senior defender Lex Johnson caused a Colby turnover and senior defender Mike Robinson picked up his fourth ground ball of the game. He sent a bullet pass past midfield to Macnab on the fast break and Macnab spotted DellaFera open in front. DellaFerra speared the pass, moved central and scored one-on-one with a high shot past Mule netminder sophomore Tyler Will just before time expired. Will ended the game with 14 saves.

Wesleyan starting goalie junior Mark Simmons allowed 11 goals with six saves while playing 49 minutes. Senior JD Dieterich covered the cage for the final 11 minutes and allowed just one goal. Wesleyan limited Colby to one shot on net over the final 10:54 and ended the game with a 43-30 margin in total shots. Wesleyan also had a 35-22 margin in ground balls.

Wesleyan improved to 11-4 all-time vs. Colby and avenged an 11-5 loss in Waterville, Me. last year. Wesleyan has won the last six meetings of the teams in Middletown, three of them by one goal.

Up next for Wesleyan is a game at Eastern Connecticut Wed., April 10 in non-conference play. Colby is back on the field Sun., April 7 in another road NESCAC match-up against Trinity.


Create a free lacrosse website