McKinney's OT Goal Lifts Georgetown Over No. 14 St. John's

BETHPAGE, N.Y. Senior midfielder Dan McKinney (Niskayuna, N.Y./Niskayuna) scored the game-winning goal with 3:24 remaining in overtime, as Georgetown (5-6, 2-1 Big East) completed a comeback over No. 14 St. John's (7-3, 2-2 Big East), winning 14-13 in the Battle at Bethpage III at Bethpage High School on Saturday afternoon.

"We made some good plays to even get the ball on our end in overtime," McKinney said. "Coach Rewkowski put out a good game plan and I was just on the receiving end, but overall it was a pretty good team win."

McKinney had two goals and one assist on the afternoon, showing a knack for putting GU in front. His first goal came in the fourth quarter, giving the Hoyas a 12-11 lead, its first lead since the first quarter. St. John's would surge in front with two goals, taking a 13-12 lead before sophomore midfielder Charles McCormick (Bronxville, N.Y./Bronxville) rebounded his own saved shot and scored with 10.2 seconds left, sending the game into overtime. It was his second goal of the game.

"The goalie got the save the first time, but Charlie kept playing," Head Coach Kevin Warne said. "He didn't just play the play, he played through the whistle. He did a great job of being able to catch his rebound, set his feet and let it rip and we were able to play a little bonus time."

Redshirt junior Tyler Knarr (Eagleville, Pa./LaSalle College), who was named the game's most valuable player, won 15 of 25 face-offs including four of five in the fourth quarter and the final face-off in overtime to go with 10 ground balls.

Sophomore attack Reilly O'Connor (Brooklin, Ontario/The Hill Academy) led the Hoyas offense with four goals and one assist. Redshirt sophomore Jake Haley (Grasonville, Md./Queen Anne's County) made 13 saves to earn his fourth win of the season.

In the first quarter, sophomore midfielder Joseph Bucci (Ithaca, N.Y./Ithaca) put the Hoyas on the board for the first time, after a game-opening goal from St. John's, with an unassisted goal to tie the score. Bucci's goal started a 3-0 run for the Hoyas.

Minutes later, redshirt junior Zac Guy (Tully, N.Y./Tully) fed sophomore midfielder Grant Fisher (Bloomfield Hills, Mich./Brother Rice), who cut uncontested through the middle and scored with 10:16 left in the first quarter to give the Hoyas a 2-1 edge. Sophomore midfielder Bo Stafford (Greenwich, Conn./Brunswick) continued the Hoyas run, finding the back of the cage on a 10-yard shot to put GU in front 3-1 with 8:56 left in the first.

The Red Storm responded after a timeout, scoring two goals within a minute, to tie the score at three goals apiece by the 7:23 mark in the first quarter. The teams traded goals for the rest of the quarter. McCormick bounced a shot past the goalkeeper to give GU a 4-3 lead.

The lead was short-lived, as St. John's answered with 3:47 left in the quarter. With less than a minute remaining in the quarter O'Connor backed down a defender, spun and scored with a sidearm shot to take a 5-4 lead into the second quarter.

St. John's 4-0 run to start the second quarter, gave them an 8-5 lead and threatened to break the game open. But after a GU timeout, Bucci ended the drought, scoring his second goal of the game with 3:10 mark on an assist from McKinney to bring GU back within two goals. The Hoyas closed the deficit to one-goal, at 8-7 with 49 seconds remaining in the half, as Stafford fed O'Connor for a fast break goal.

Three times St. John's extended the lead to two goals, but the Hoyas stayed within striking distance. O'Connor scored his third and fourth goal of the game, early in the third quarter to help GU keep pace with the Red Storm.

1 2 3    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website