No. 1 Trinity Scores Final Four Goals to Top No. 6 Colby

WATERVILLE, Maine -- Trinity, the defending national champions and top-ranked in the country this year, scored the final four goals of the game to break a 4-4 tie and go on to an 8-4 victory over sixth-ranked Colby on Sunday at Bill Alfond Field.

Trinity moves to 9-0 overall, 6-0 in the New England Small College Athletic Conference, and pushed its winning streak to 17 straight games. The Mules fell to 8-1 overall and 5-1 in conference play. Colby fell for just the second time in three years at Bill Alfond Field and has an 18-2 record over that time.

Both teams had suffocating defenses in the opening half, forcing a number of turnovers and failed clears. Trinity held the Mules to just eight shots in the game, while scoring on eight of its 22 shots. The Bantams also had a big edge in draw controls at 10-4.

Hadley Duncan (Rye, N.Y.) had two goals, one assist, three ground balls, and two caused turnovers for Trinity. Shea Kusiak (Longmeadow, Mass.) and Molly Cox (Norwell, Mass.) also had two goals for the Bantams. Kaitlin Hildebrand (Berwyn, Pa.) added one goal and one assist, while Megan Leonhard (Summit, N.J.) finished with one goal, three caused turnovers, and three draw controls. Caroline Hayes (Greenland, N.H.) also had a fine game with one assist, two caused turnovers, and two draw controls.

Katharine Eddy (Cheshire, Conn.) led Colby with one goal, one assist, two caused turnovers, two ground balls, and one draw control. Sara Miller (Andover, Mass.), Katie Griffin (Duxbury, Mass.), and Lindsey McKenna (Fairfield, Conn.) also tallied for the Mules.

Both teams came ready to play in the opening half and the Mules had two early leads. Eddy scored unassisted with 23:51 to play for a 1-0 lead and that margin stayed that way for the opening 15 minutes of the game. Hildrebrand scored from Hayes with 14:32 left to tie the game at 1-1, but the Mules went ahead again with 10:20 to play when Griffin scored off a pass from Pistel.

The Bantams scored three unanswered goals to go up 4-2. Cox scored from Hildebrand to tie the game at two, Duncan scored unassisted with 3:09 to play, and Cox put in a free-position shot with 1:29 to go. Colby made it a 4-3 deficit at halftime when Miller took a feed from Eddy for the goal with 10 seconds to intermission.

The Mules tied the game at 4-4 when McKenna scored on a free-position shot with 24:09 to go.

Kusiak scored the game-winning goal on a nice individual effort, scoring on a tough angle and with a side-swipe shot with 21:27 left. The Mules were hurt even further when McKenna was forced out of the game with her second yellow card just 12 seconds later in the battle for the draw control.

Kusiak made it 6-4 on another nice burst to the goal with 12:40 to go. Leonhard scored just 47 seconds later when she took a pass on the move from Duncan and rifled in a shot. The Bantams then won the draw control and Duncan scored from Martha Griffin (Exeter, N.H.) just 18 seconds after the seventh goal.

Trinity goalie Emily Mooney (New York, N.Y.) made one save, a fine stop in the opening half. Colby goalie Michelle Burt (Woodbridge, Conn.) had eight saves, many of them coming on difficult stops. Abby Hatch (Wilbraham, Mass.) and Lisa Hoopes (Ipswich, Mass.) both had two caused turnovers for the Mules.


Create a free lacrosse website