No. 4 Cortland Rallies, Survives in OT at Brockport

BROCKPORT, N.Y. Marilyn Farrell scored just over a minute into the first overtime, and the goal held up, as fourth-ranked Cortland earned a 12-11 come-from-behind win at Brockport Tuesday afternoon in SUNYAC action.

Farrell finished the game with two goals and two assists for the Red Dragons (10-1, 4-0 SUNYAC). Senior Laura Edward (Blue Point/Bayport-Blue Point) led Cortland with four goals, sophomore Emma Hayes-Hurley (Huntington) tallied three goals and one assist, senior Maria Di Fato (Camillus/Cortland) and junior Taylor Robinson (Manlius/Fayetteville-Manlius) each recorded one goal and one assist and sophomore Chelsea Martin (Ogdensburg/Ogdensburg Free Academy) netted one goal.

Senior Shauna Hutchinson (Islip Terrace/East Islip) started in goal, making four saves and allowing five goals in the first half. Freshman Laura Ingalls (Centerport/St. Anthony's) played the final 36:00, stopping five shots. Farrell and freshman Tara Monaghan (Stony Point/North Rockland) each recorded four ground balls, while Hayes-Hurley registered five draw controls.

Emily Zartman scored a game-high four goals for the Golden Eagles (8-3, 3-1 SUNYAC). Sarah Brown had seven points on three goals and four assists, and Erin Featherstone, Ciara McKeon, Allyson Wolf and Makensie Schuber each netted one goal. Goalie Remle Harr made 12 saves.

The Red Dragons opened up a 5-1 lead with 12:58 remaining in the first half before Brockport netted the final four goals of the opening 30 minutes to tie the game at 5-5 heading into intermission. The Red Dragons built an 8-6 lead midway through the second half as Edward collected a pair of goals. The Golden Eagles answered with five of the next six goals, three from Zartman, to take an 11-9 lead with 4:05 on the clock.

Hayes-Hurley cut the lead to 11-10 with a goal at 2:59. Cortland controlled the following draw control but turned the ball over. After a successful Brockport clear, junior Jessica Lavelle (Fayetteville/Fayetteville-Manlius) caused a Golden Eagle turnover with just under a minute to play, and Martin tallied the game-tying goal with 45 seconds remaining in regulation. The Red Dragons won the ensuing draw but could not get off a shot in the closing seconds.

In overtime, Farrell scored what proved to be the game-winner at the 4:49 mark, and Ingalls made two key saves to secure the lead.


Create a free lacrosse website