No. 19 Boston College Escapes New Hampshire in Overtime

DURHAM, N.H. Kathleen O'Keefe (Chatham, N.J.) recorded 12 saves for University of New Hampshire, but the Wildcats were defeated 10-9 in overtime by 19th-ranked Boston College in Wednesday afternoon's non-conference game at Memorial Field.

UNH is now 4-8 overall with three one-goal losses to nationally-ranked teams. BC, which scored on the only shot recorded in the six-minute overtime session, improved to 7-6 by extending its winning streak to three games.

O'Keefe made six saves in both the first and second halves and was credited with two ground balls and two caused turnovers for the Wildcats, who were outshot 36-19.

UNH's offense was led by Jenny Simpson (New Canaan, Conn.; three goals) and Kayleigh Hinkle (Glenelg, Md.; three assists) with three points apiece; Hinkle was also credited with a team-high four draw controls. Amber Casiano (South Windsor, Conn.) and Nicole Grote (Ellicott City, Md.) recorded two goals apiece and Laura McHoul (Westwood, Mass.) also tallied multiple points with a goal and an assist.

Kate McCarthy netted a game-high four goals, including the game-winning tally at 3:15 of OT. Sarah Mannelly (three goals) and Covie Stanwick (two) were the Eagles' other multiple-point scorers. BC goalie Emily Mata finished with six saves two in the first half and four in the second half to help the Eagles overcome a pair of four-goal second-half deficits.

BC controlled possession with a deliberately-patient, perimeter-passing attack in the opening nine minutes of the game but O'Keefe recorded three saves in that span to keep the game scoreless.

New Hampshire scored on its first shot of the game at 20:13 to take a 1-0 lead when McHoul corralled a loose ball on the left side of the fan and shot high into the cage.

BC's Carly Weilminster shot wide on a free position at 15:52, but the visitors retained possession and continued its perimeter formation, and it finally yielded a goal by McCarthy as she curled around the left post and scored on a high shot to tie the score at 1-1.

The 'Cats were whistled for a yellow card on the play to give the Eagles a man-up situation for the next two minutes, but O'Keefe denied Mikaela Rix on her free-position shot at 13:20 to keep the score deadlocked.

New Hampshire regained the lead, 2-1, at 10:56 when Hinkle, from the top of the fan, found Casiano and the middle of the fan. Casiano turned and, despite a defender inhibiting the shooting motion, floated a shot into the cage.

The Eagles leveled the score at 2 when Kara Magley netted a free-position goal at 8:24.

UNH closed the half with consecutive goals to take a 4-2 lead into halftime. Hinkle, from the top-left of the fan, fed a pass in the middle to Simpson, who deposited a shot inside the right post at 5:27 to give the 'Cats their third lead of the game.

BC's Rix fired shots wide of the target at 4:33 and 3:12, then was stoned by O'Keefe at 2:29. The 'Cats advanced the ball to the other end of the field. Hinkle, at the left doorstep, passed the ball across the goalmouth to Grote alone at the right post and she one-timed a shot into the open right side to give UNH a 4-2 lead at 1:44.

Hinkle controlled the ensuing draw, but Simpson was denied by Mata with 39 seconds on the clock. The Eagles transitioned into the attack zone by O'Keefe stopped Rix with six seconds remaining to send New Hampshire into the half with a two-goal lead despite being outshot 14-8 in the opening 30 minutes.

The Wildcats extended their streak of consecutive goals to four with goals at 25:28 and 21:42 of the second half to build a 6-2 lead. From behind the right post, McHoul found Molly Gaffey (North Hampton, N.H.) cutting down the middle of the fan and Gaffey rifled a shot into the upper-left corner of the net. Grote caught Hinkle's entry pass with her back to the goal in the middle of the fan. She cut to the right wing, then doubled back to the center and fired a shot under the crossbar to give the 'Cats a four-goal advantage.

1 2 3    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website