Cyclones Withstand Neumann Comeback and Weather Delay

ASTON, Pa. (April 10, 2013) The Centenary Cyclones withstood a Neumann comeback and a weather delay to topple the Knights by the final score of 11-7 in a crucial CSAC match-up on the road this evening.

The Cyclones wasted little before getting their offense to click. Following a Patrick Johnston (Glen Ridge, NJ, Glen Ridge) opening faceoff win, the Cyclones marched down the field and recorded the first goal of the game when Robert Nuzzolese (Woodbury, NY, Syosset) beat the Neumann goalie to put Centenary up 1-0 just 55 seconds into the game.

Still in the early stages of the opening quarter, the Cyclones took advantage of a Knights unnecessary roughness penalty when Conor Nolan (Hillsborough, NJ, Immaculata) connected with Nuzzolese for his second goal of the game to make the score 2-0 Centenary at the 12:04 mark.

As the end of the quarter drew near, the Cyclones extended their lead to 3-0 when freshman Joey DeBiasse ripped the twine on an unassisted goal. However, the last laugh of the opening quarter would go to Neumann when Chirss Scott put the Knights on the board with 4:30 left in quarter to make it 3-1 after the first quarter.

The second quarter action began around the thirteen minute mark when the Knights fired a borage of shots at Centenary goalie Kevin Switzer (Hillsdale, N.J., Pascack Valley), finally beating him on a man-up opportunity to make it a one goal game early in the second stanza. With their lead slipping away, the Cyclones answered with a goal of their own by Nuzzolese to not only notch a hat trick for him, but more importantly to re-establish a two-goal lead.

As the minutes ticked away in the quarter the tumultuous weather continued to pick up and the game was halted for a lengthy delay due to lightning strikes in the area. After over a half hour, the action picked back up and the Cyclones would strike again when Jeff Prudente (Somerville, NJ, Somerville) scored on a man-up opportunity to make the score 5-3 in favor of the Cyclones. The remaining few minutes of the half saw some back-and-forth action but neither team was able to capitalize and the game entered half time with Centenary up by two.

After a rambunctious first half, the third quarter was relatively silent except a Nuzzolese goal five minutes in to put Centenary up 6-3. All was quiet again until Neumann answered Nuzzolese's fourth goal with one of its own at the 5:47 mark to bring the goal differential back down to two. The last punch of the quarter came from Neumann whose goal with 18 seconds left seemed to stun the Cyclones and made the score 6-5 as it rolled into the final quarter of play.

With only a goal separating the two teams, the fourth quarter would prove to be pivotal. The Knights struck first to tie the game when Ryan Eber scored an unassisted goal with 12:44 remaining in the game. However, the Cyclones would answer with a goal of their own at 9:24 when Joshua Caven (Yardley, PA, Pennsbury) stepped up to take the lead back. With a slim 7-6 lead the Cyclones would again find themselves up by two goals after DeBiasse beat the goalkeeper to make the score 8-6 in favor of Centenary.

After a timeout by the Cyclones at 6:04, the Knights came back out onto the field and quickly scored to bring the deficit back to only one goal. However, from that moment on, the Cyclones would take complete control of the game and dominate down the stretch. Nuzzolese's fourth goal, along with a pair from Cameron Gunn (Johnson City, NY, Johnson City) with just over two minutes remaining helped put the game away for the Cyclones, as they went on to the 11-8 triumph.

Goalie Switzer had a career-high 14 saves in the victory tonight and was one of the key reasons the Cyclones improved to 9-1 overall and 3-1 in the CSAC. Centenary will next be in action on Saturday, April 13th when they host Immaculata in another important CSAC showdown.


Create a free lacrosse website