William Smith Edged at St. Lawrence

William Smith was edged 8-7 by St. Lawrence in a Liberty League match played this afternoon in Canton, N.Y. It was the first conference loss for the Herons, who are now 6-4 overall and 3-1 in the League. The Saints improved to 8-5 overall, 4-2 in Liberty play.

Sophomore Katie Sipple led William Smith with three goals. Senior Kathleen Ragan logged two goals and four ground balls. First-year Hannah Connolly produced a goal and an assist. Sophomore Abbie West chipped in a goal and a team-high three draws. First-year goalie Marina Guigli played all 60 minutes in net. She finished with nine saves, three caused turnovers and a ground ball.

Stephanie O'Rourke led St. Lawrence with three points on a goal and two assists. Michaela Maybee and Holly Noyes each produced two goals. Joey Kelley chipped in a goal and an assist. Maybee and Kelley added four ground balls apiece for the Saints. Noyes won a team-high three draws. Adden Cunningham played all 60 minutes in goal for St. Lawrence and made nine saves.

The Saints started the scoring taking a 2-0 lead on early goals by Maybee and Brigid Hurley. The Herons responded with two goals of their own. At 13:14 senior Katie Dexter fed West to make it 2-1, and William Smith took advantage of a man-up situation to tie things up. Sipple took a pass from Connolly to find the back of the goal for this first time in the game. At 18:45, Noyes put the Saints back on top, but Sipple scored her second of the afternoon with 5:24 left in the first half to tie things up at 3-3.

At 4:16 into the second half, Noyes scored on a free position to make it 4-3. A little over a minute later, Ragan answered with an unassisted tally to knot the game at four. Back-to-back goals by Kelley and O'Rourke gave St. Lawrence a 6-4 advantage at 9:01.

At 18:30, Connolly cut the Saints' lead to one with a free position goal, but St. Lawrence responded with two more goals to take an 8-5 lead, their largest of the game. With 6:50 on the clock Ragan notched her second goal of the game, and with 1:47 left on the clock, Sipple capitalized on a free position to get William Smith within one, but the Herons were unable to net the game-tying goal.

St. Lawrence held a 25-22 lead in shots, an 11-5 advantage in draws and a 23-18 edge in ground balls. The Herons went 13 for 23 on clears, and the Saints finished 11 for 18.

William Smith will be back in action tomorrow, April 13, when it travels to take on Clarkson at 4:30 p.m.


Create a free lacrosse website