Swarthmore Drops OT Heartbreaker to #15 Franklin & Marshall

SWARTHMORE, Pa. - Despite leaving everything it had out on the field for Senior Day, Swarthmore (3-8, 1-4) came up painstakingly short of pulling off a major upset of No. 15 Franklin & Marshall (9-3, 5-0), falling to the Dips 9-8 in overtime on Saturday afternoon from Clothier Field.

Trailing 6-2 at halftime, the Garnet came out of the break and put together its best half of lacrosse this season. Swat scored five of the game's next six goals, tying the game on sophomore Ian Lukaszewicz' goal with just under seven minutes remaining in the game. With just under one minute remaining in the game, senior Wes Marcik ripped a shot into the top shelf past the F&M goalie to give the Garnet an 8-7 lead with just 57 seconds to play.

But it was not to be for Swarthmore. The Dips won the ensuing face-off to gain possession. After a timeout, the Dips' Jamie McColloch dodged to net and drew the attention of the Swat defense. Just before contact, he dished off to an open Michael Bossidy, who was waiting in the corner and just snuck a ball past Jonathan Cohen with 14 seconds to play, forcing overtime.

In overtime, Swarthmore had a golden opportunity at the 2:13 mark when Lukaszewicz ripped an open shot on net, only he was denied by Dips' goalie Cameron Setian. On the ensuing possession, F&M won the game when a nice one-two Bossidy and Tristian Miller led the to game-winning goal with 1:30 left in OT.

Senior Steve Selverian had a Senior Day to remember, finishing with three goals and two ground balls. Lukaszewicz added two goals and two assists. Marcik, junior Brendan Conway and sophomore Chris Thomson also scored for the Garnet.

Billy Kempner led F&M with three goals.

* * * *

SWARTHMORE, Pa. Michael Bossidy scored with 14 seconds left to send the game into overtime and assisted Tristan Miller on the game-winning goal as No. 15 Franklin & Marshall defeated Swarthmore 9-8 Saturday afternoon. F&M improved to 9-3 with a 5-0 mark in the Centennial Conference, which marks the first time since 1995 that F&M has won five straight conference games.

John Barney put F&M on the board with a score at 9:12 in the first before the Garnet tied the game three minutes into the second quarter. The Diplomats answered with three straight goals and took a 4-1 lead with 9:09 left in the half. John Barney assisted on the first two goals by Jamie McCulloch and Billy Kempner with Kempner tallying the final score off a feed from Zachary Johannes.

The Garnet put one through at 7:59, but F&M finished the half with two straight for a 6-2 lead at the break. A.J. Reichert found twine at 2:38 and Tristan Miller connected with Bossidy 1:02 later for the second score.

Swarthmore turned the table in the second half with six goals, starting with two in the third quarter to make it a two-goal game. Jordan Barr hooked up with Kempner at 12:29 to temporarily stop the Garnet momentum, but Swarthmore tacked on four unanswered to take an 8-7 lead with 58 seconds remaining in the game.

McCulloch possessed the ball with less than 20 seconds to play, made a move, which dropped the Swarthmore defender to the ground, and found Bossidy in the corner. Bossidy struck with 14 seconds on the clock to send the game into overtime.

The Garnet won the opening face-off and fired off two shots with Reichert coming away with the groundball on the final shot. Bossidy and Miller found themselves with a two-on-one opportunity on the ensuing possession and Bossidy passed to Miller to for the easy one-time goal for the victory.

Reichert had a game-high four groundballs and Josh Kanter caused three turnovers with three groundballs while T.J. Tynan went 10 for 14 from the X.

Cameron Setian went to 9-3 on the season with eight stops while Jonathan Cohen took the loss with 10 saves.

F&M returns to action on Saturday when the Diplomats take on Haverford at 1:00 p.m.


Create a free lacrosse website