Yeomen Dismantle DePauw

Greencastle, Ind. A streak of 19 unanswered goals propelled Oberlin College to its first conference win of the season on Saturday afternoon when they defeated DePauw, 20-3, as 11 Yeomen scored on the day.

Freshman Nick Lobley caught fire on Saturday for four goals and four assists. However, it was Sean Higgins that began the Yeomen scoring barrage six minutes into the game with his first of two goals on the day and 20th of 21 goals on the year.

Freshman Alex Wagman got in on the action when he found the back of the net at the 12:15 mark for the first of his two goals.

Senior Connor Jackson lengthened Oberlin's lead to 4-0 at 7:25 when he scored courtesy of an assist from junior Mickey Fiorillo.

Lobley and Wagman went back to work, as one of the two had a part of the next five Yeomen scores. The first came when Lobley made the tally 5-0 with six minutes to play in the first quarter off an unassisted goal. Wagman then fired one into the net off of a Lobley assist for his second goal of the day.

Lobley made the Oberlin lead 7-0 with another goal, while Wagman assisted sophomore Eli Fisher on his third score of the season. Lobley then extended the lead to 9-0 just into the second period when he recorded his third goal of the game. Higgins assisted on the play.

Sophomore Austin Little cashed in his first score of the season at the 9:46 mark to put the Yeomen up by 10.

Lobley put in his fourth and final goal of the game to make the Oberlin lead 11-0, while Jackson followed with back-to-back scores of his own. Lobley assisted on Jackson's first, while senior Thomas Cool assisted on the second.

Fiorillo ended the second half by making Oberlin's lead 14-0 off of a Jackson assist.

Oberlin cooled off in the third quarter as they only put in two goals. Freshman Matthew Fox had the first for the Yeomen, while his classmate Ian Kaplan scored the second. Lobley assisted on both third quarter goals.

Kaplan, Cool, and Little rounded out the unanswered Yeomen scores, as the Oberlin lead reached 19-0 before DePauw got on the board with 8:43 left to play in the fourth quarter.

Sophomore Sean Seaman scored his second goal of the season and Oberlin's final goal of the game with 3:21 left to play in regulation.

The Tigers netted the final goal of the game with less than a minute to play, making the final tally 20-3 in favor of the Yeomen.

Oberlin dominated in shots with 41, while its defense held DePauw to only 10 shot attempts.

Saturday's victory over DePauw marks Oberlin's first NCAC victory since the 1995 season. However, this also marks the first year of the DePauw lacrosse program's infancy.

The Yeomen will look to win their second consecutive conference game and get back to .500 on April 17 when Hiram College comes to town for a 7:00 p.m. match-up.


Create a free lacrosse website