Centenary Captures One-Goal Win Over Scranton

HACKETTSTOWN, N.J. (April 17, 2013) Led behind a relentless Centenary team, the Cyclones battled their way to an intense 7-6 victory over the University of Scranton on Wednesday afternoon.

About halfway through the opening quarter, sophomore Patrick Johnston (Glen Ridge, NJ, Glen Ridge) was able to force a Royals turnover to get the Cyclones the ball before Cameron Gunn (Johnson City, NY, Johnson City) found Robert Nuzzolese (Woodbury, NY, Syosset) for the first goal of the game, putting Centenary in the lead 1-0 early on. Despite being outshot 8-3, the

Cyclones were able to hold strong in front of freshman goalie Kevin Switzer (Hillsdale, N.J., Pascack Valley) and take their one goal lead into the second quarter.

It wouldn't take long for Scranton to respond however as they took advantage of a missed Centenary shot, picking up the loose ball and heading the length of the field as Taylor Nelson found the back of the cage for an equalizer goal at 10:57 to knot the game up at 1-1.

With just under three minutes remaining in the half, the Royals took advantage of a Cyclone turnover, taking a pair of shots before capitalizing on the second to take a 2-1 lead heading into the half.

Just over a minute and a half out of the half, Gunn and Nuzzolese teamed up once again thanks to a Brock Mininger (Hatboro, PA, Hatboro- Horsham) turnover, tying the Royals 2-2 early in the second half.

Unfortunately the Royals returned the goal with just under six minutes to go in the quarter after forcing a turnover as Matt Tibbitts and John Gregitis paired up to give Scranton a 3-2 lead.

Less than four minutes later, the Cyclones responded once again with a Nuzzolese and Gunn duo to tie the game back up, but the Royals answered with less than 30 seconds in the third quarter to take back a 4-3 lead into the final quarter.

The Royals continued to attack as they opened up the fourth quarter off yet another turnover as Taylor Nelson found the back of the Centenary goal to push the Scranton lead to 5-3 with 11:04 to play.

Nuzzolese and Gunn continued to dominate the offense attack for the Cyclones as they pushed forward off a Patrick Johnston (Glen Ridge, NJ, Glen Ridge)faceoff win to cut the Scranton lead down to 5-4 with 10:20 left on the clock.

With just under seven minutes to play, Nuzzolese picked up a groundball thanks to a Sean Lowe (Westminster, MD, Westminster) caused turnover and attacked the net to tie the game up 5-5. Only 25 seconds later, Johnston won another faceoff for the Cyclones and allowed Gunn to find Conor Nolan (Hillsborough, NJ, Immaculata) and put the Cyclones in the lead up 6-5 with 6:35 left in the game.

The Royals answered with a goal at 4:33 to tie the game up, looking as if they would send the game into overtime tied at 6-6. With the clock winding down, the Cyclones began to attack the Scranton net with a pair of shots before taking a timeout with 1:32 left on the clock and the game still tied.

Coming out of the timeout the Cyclones began to work their offense as Nolan found Gunn and attacked the Scranton defense, finding the back of the cage with only 44 seconds remaining to put Centenary back in the lead up 7-6.

With only 44 seconds on the clock, Johnston approached the faceoff line and won the pivotal faceoff battle as Nolan picked up the groundball and helped the Cyclones clear the ball to lead them to an intense 7-6 victory.

Thanks to a dominant Centenary defense and solid performance by Switzer in net with 13 saves, the Cyclones were able to pick up their 11th win of the season. Nuzzolese led the way with five goals while Gunn dominated both sides of the offense, finishing the game with a team-high six points on a goal and five assists in the win.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website