New Hampshire Outlasts Boston University

DURHAM, N.H. Jenny Simpson (New Canaan, Conn.) and Nicole Grote (Ellicott City, Md.) recorded four points apiece to propel University of New Hampshire to Wednesday afternoon's 13-12 America East conference victory against Boston University at Cowell Stadium.

UNH, playing its last home game of the season, improved to 5-9 overall and climbed into a tie in the America East conference standings with BU at 2-3. The Terriers are now 5-7 overall.

Simpson and Grote both recorded three goals and one assist. Simpson gave UNH a 12-9 lead at 3:04 of the second half and set up the goal that gave the Wildcats a 13-11 advantage with 20 seconds remaining.

Laura McHoul (Westwood, Mass.) tallied a goal and two assists while Amber Casiano (South Windsor, Conn.) scored two goals for the third consecutive game and Laura Puccia (Fairport, N.Y.) also finished with two goals. Kathleen O'Keefe (Chatham, N.J.) matched her season high of 13 saves, including three in the last six minutes of the game to thwart the Terriers' comeback effort.

BU was led offensively by Danielle Etrasco (three goals, two assists) and Kristin Mogavero (4g, 1a) while Christina Sheridan was credited with five saves, four of which came in the first half.

UNH led 10-7 when it called a timeout at 7:47 of the second half. Molly Gaffey (North Hampton, N.H.) spun out of a double team at the top of the attack zone and charged down the middle of the fan. Sheridan vacated the crease and Gaffey scored into the open net to give the Wildcats their largest lead of the game, 11-7, at 7:36.

BU's Siobahn McCarthy won possession of the ensuing draw control and that set up a Jenny Thompson free-position goal from the top-left of the fan that lifted the Terriers within 11-8 at 6:55.

Boston University once again won the draw when Sofia Robins corralled the ball. O'Keefe denied Mogavero at 5:52, but Robins' ground ball retained possession for the visitors and Elizabeth Morse, deep on the left side, found Mogavero in front for a goal that trimmed the deficit to 11-9 at 5:25.

In another battle for possession of the draw, McCarthy came away with the ball and BU called time out at 5:12. O'Keefe stoned Robins and Cori Rees (East Hampstead, N.H.) collected the ground ball in the right corner to give possession to New Hampshire.

The Wildcats cleared the ball to the attack zone and Simpson potted her third goal of the game from the middle of the fan to extend the advantage to 12-9 at 3:05.

The Terriers once again controlled the draw and the teams exchanged turnovers before O'Keefe made a save against Jenny Thompson. Etrasco, with an underhanded sweeping motion, shoveled the rebound into the open cage, however, to lift BU within 12-10 at 1:18.

Boston University's streak of draw controls continued when Sydney Godett gained possession. BU quickly went into attack mode and Robins converted Etrasco's pass into a goal with 52 seconds remaining to make the score 12-11.

UNH ended the Terriers' streak of consecutive draws at five when McHoul came away with the ball. Simpson fed Casiano for her second goal of the game and a 13-11 lead with 20 seconds to play.

BU's Nell Burdis gave the Terriers a chance when she gained possession of the ensuing draw control. The ball was quickly passed downfield to the top of the crease, where Robins shot the ball into the net to once again lift the visitors within one goal, 13-12, with eight seconds on the clock.

Kayleigh Hinkle (Glenelg, Md.) caught the ball on the second bounce and was immediately fouled at midfield, but then the last seconds ticked off to end the game.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website