First-Half Barrage Sends Pfeiffer by Queens in CC Semifinals

BURLINGTON, N.C. - Pfeiffer, ranked #11 in the nation and seeded #2 in the conference tournament, took a 10-1 lead into the half and cruised to a 14-8 victory over Queens in the second semifinal contest on Friday night. The Falcons improve to 12-3 overall with the six-goal victory in a soggy Williams Stadium while ending the Royals' season at 7-7.

Robert Hope started scoring just 52 seconds into Friday night as Elliot Gilbert assisted on the game's first goal. Just two minutes later, Steven Tilmon would find the back of the net for a 2-0 lead before Kory Lutes and Cole Sheen wrapped up first quarter scoring with goals just 43 seconds apart near the four-minute mark of the period.

In the second, Pfeiffer would tally the first four goals of the quarter starting with Gilbert and Matt Michaeli 90 seconds apart before Lutes and Cole Paciejewski would do the same a little over two minutes apart to put the Falcons up 8-0. After Casey Hock got the Royals on the board, James Shepherd and Lutes would close out the half with goals allowing Pfeiffer to carry a 10-1 lead into the half.

Evan Farkas and Michaeli would trade the only goals in a quick third quarter before Shepherd started the fourth with a man-up goal putting the Falcons up 10. Derek Thomas and Paciejewski would record the final two Pfeiffer strikes midway through the period as Queens would score six of their eight goals in the final 15 minutes.

Lutes would lead the Falcons scoring three on the night while Spencer Allen picked up a pair of assists. Mike Triolo scooped up a team-high seven groundballs on defense in front of Hayden Kirk who made 14 saves in Friday's semifinal win.

Pfeiffer will now face Limestone for the fourth-consecutive year in the conference tournament, third-straight in the title match. The Falcons will look to try and snap a seven-game skid against the Saints dating back to a 10-6 win back in 2009.


Create a free lacrosse website