Bristol's Saves, UMass Boston Thwart Southern Maine

BOSTON -- Senior goalie Henry Bristol (South Hadley, Mass.) stopped a career high 27 shots as the UMass-Boston Beacons held on to defeat the Southern Maine Huskies 6-5 in a Little East Conference match Tuesday afternoon at the Clark Athletic Center Field.

The win was the second straight, and fourth in the last five games, for the Beacons who are now 6-10 overall and 3-3 in LEC play. The Beacons also clinched their first berth since 2008 in the LEC championship tournament that starts next Tuesday (April 30). The Huskies dropped their third straight to slip to 5-10 overall and 1-5 in the conference.

After a shaky first quarter, Bristol thwarted the Huskies throughout the remainder of the game, particularly in the third quarter when he kept the Huskies off the scoresheet while making 12 saves.

Sophomore Donny Delpha (Walpole, Mass.) and junior Dom Fichera (Scituate, Mass.) led the Beacons with two goals apiece. Delpha also contributed an assist. Sophomore Ryan McGoff (Charlestown, Mass.) had three points on a goal and two assists. Junior Thomas Petitti (Quincy, Mass.) had the other Beacon goal.

For the Huskies, senior Kyle Baker (Kennebunk, Maine) had three points on a goal and two assists. Junior Dylan Kenney (Portland, Maine) scored two goals for the Huskies. Sophomores Dan St. Peter (Windham, Maine) and Kaleb Smith (West Gardiner, Maine) had the other USM goals.

The Huskies split their goaltending chores as senior Ryan Hatch (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) played the opening two quarters making five saves. Freshman Ryan Jurgelevich (Portland, Maine) played the final two quarters stopping six shots and was saddled with the loss.

Southern Maine got off to a great start taking a 3-1 lead in the first quarter on two goals by Kenney and the St. Peter marker. UMB was only able to counter with a goal from McGoff.

After the St. Peter goal with 2:25 to play in the first, Bristol would stone the Huskies' shooters for more than 40 minutes. The Beacons scored two goals, both by Delpha, in the second quarter to level the score at 3-3 by halftime.

Fichera and Petitti scored within a span of 1:52 midway through the third quarter to give the Beacons their first advantage, 5-3. Fichera's second marker early in the fourth made it 6-3 and proved to be the game-wining goal.

The Huskies got a spark midway through the final quarter as Smith tallied his seventh goal of the season. Baker gave the Huskies a chance to force overtime scoring with 46 seconds to play in regulation. The Huskies won the ensuing faceoff to have a chance, but were stopped by the Beacons defense.

Southern Maine closes the regular season this Saturday (1:00 p.m.) with an LEC match at Salem State University. UMass Boston plays its regular season finale on Saturday (1:00 p.m.) at Eastern Connecticut State University.


Create a free lacrosse website