Mount St. Mary's Posts Comeback Win Over Wagner

Staten Island, NY Following a pre-game Senior Day ceremony in honor of its six graduating seniors, Wagner rocketed out of the gate by scoring the first five goals of the game during a brilliant 8:47 stretch before Mount St. Mary's regrouped, fought back and eventually went on to record a 14-7 victory over the Seahawks at sun-splashed Hameline Field.

The six Seahawks who were playing in their final collegiate games were Nick DePhillps, (Glen Ridge, NJ/ Glen Ridge), #R.J. Derosa# (Glastonbury, CT/ Glastonbury), Dustin Doty (Sherman Oaks, CA/ Crespi Carmelite), Brian Faughnan (New Canaan, CT/ New Canaan), Krey Keller (Colorado Springs, CO/ Cheyenne Mountain) and Colin O'Rourke (Worcester, MA/ St. John's Shrewsbury).

Under the guidance of second-year head coach Matt Poskay, the Seahawks continue to make strides. In addition to the 18-12 win over VMI on March 6, the Seahawks were edged in three one-goal nail-biters, vs. Mercer (12-11 on 3/9), Manhattan (12-11 on 4/2) and last week at at Quinnipiac (11-10 on 4/20),

For the year, Wagner finished 1-12 overall, 0-5 in the Northeast Conference (NEC), while the Mountaineers ended up with a season mark of 5-9, 2-3 in league play.

Fittingly, on Senior Day, it was a pair of seniors that got things started today vs. Mount St. Mary's. On Wagner's first possession of the game, Faunghan slammed home an unassisted goal at 14:07. Minutes later, Doty, a long-stick defenseman, collected a loose ball near midfield and sped straight down the middle of the field before uncorking a 10-yard blast on the dead run for his first career goal at the 12:18 mark.

Just over a minute later, sophomore Cory Santor (Glastonbury, CT/ Glastonbury) delivered Wagner's third goal in a 3:50 span, this one off an O'Rourke assist, which made it a 3-0 game with 11:27 remaining in the opening quarter. Following a Mount timeout, things slowed down for a few minutes but the Seahawks remained hot.

With 5:56 to go in the first quarter, freshman Griffen Leclaire unleashed an unassisted tally to make it 4-0. Leclaire's goal was followed just 31 seconds later by a goal out of the stick of sophomore David DeCirce (Clarence, NY/ Clarence), who was fed by O'Rourke, which put Wagner on top 5-0 with 5:21 left in the quarter.

The Mountaineers got one back on a score by Cody Lehrer off a Daniel Stranix assist late in the first quarter. The Mount then had things going its way throughout the second quarter, outscoring Wagner 6-0 over these 15 minutes of play, in taking a 7-5 lead into halftime. The Mountaineers kept the pressure on in the second half, scoring the first six goals of the third quarter before DeCirce ended the run with an unassisted goal with 3:33 left in the period. The fourth quarter was played to a 1-1 stalemate.

Jake Willertz was the leading goal-scorer in the game as he recorded a hat trick for the Mountaineers. Brett Schmidt paced the Mount with five points on two goals and three assists. Adding three goals apiece for the Mount were Lehrer (2 goals, 1 assist), Andrew Scalley (2 goals, 1 assist), and Strannix (1 goal, 2 assists) while Bryant Schmidt added two points by scoring a pair of goals.

Jon Marsalese helped the Mountaineers' cause tremendously by winning 15 of 19 faceoffs. In goal, Ada Borgogelli had six saves.

For Wagner, Keller won 8 of 21 faceoffs while junior Nicholas Gibaldi (Rocky Point, NY/ Rocky Point) came up with 11 saves.

The Mount held a 44-33 edge in shots, led in ground balls, 27-25, and the Mountaineers were successful on 16 of 24 faceoffs. Wagner's man-down defense was sharp, limited the Mount to 1 of 5 on extra-man opportunities while the Seahawks were 0 of 1 on EMOs themselves.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website