Franklin & Marshall Tops Gettysburg in CC Semifinals

LANCASTER, Pa. Franklin & Marshall defeated No. 20 Gettysburg 10-8 in the semifinals of the Centennial Conference (CC) championships Wednesday evening. The Diplomats earned a trip to finals for the first time in school history and will travel to No. 2 Dickinson on Saturday for a 1:00 p.m. game.

A.J. Reichert gave F&M (11-5) an early 1-0 lead with an unassisted tally 1:21 into the game. Gettysburg answered at 9:40 before the Diplomats put two straight through to take the lead for good, 3-1, at 6:52 in the first. Evan Bakst found John Barney for the first score and Tim Gaines struck unassisted for the second score.

Martin Manilla brought the Bullets (9-7) within a point, 3-2, at 2:41 and Billy Kempner gave F&M a 4-3 lead with just seven seconds left in the quarter.

F&M opened the second with two unanswered goals and took a commanding 6-2 lead just over two minutes into the second quarter. Reichert started the run and Miller buried a feed from Michael Bossidy at 12:32.

Gettysburg matched F&M with two straight before Kempner hooked up with Miller at 1:57 to give F&M a 7-4 lead at the break.

Kempner gave F&M a four-goal advantage, 8-4, midway through the third. The Bullets answered with a score at 5:44 to make it 8-5 before Miller netted back-to-back goals for a 10-5 F&M lead. Tommy Wenk assisted on the first at 4:59 in the third and Miller netted the second unassisted at 13:18.

Bijan Firouzan brought Gettysburg within four, 10-6, at 11:53 and the teams traded possessions down to the final two minutes. Then it got ugly. A total of eight fouls were called during the final 2:02 of action and Gettysburg made the best of the situation and snuck two through for the 10-8 final.

T.J. Tynan came up big all night and went 16 for 22 from the X with 11 ground balls.

Jordan McLean caused two turnovers while Zachary Johannes and Gaines finished with three ground balls apiece.

Cameron Setian improved to 11-5 with 11 saves while Jon Maddalone took the loss with one save in 16:36 of action. J.T. McCook came in early in the second for Gettysburg and stopped eight shots.

F&M outshot Gettysburg 40-26 and went 15 for 18 in clear attempts.

* * * *

LANCASTER, Pa. Franklin & Marshall earned its second close win over Gettysburg in eight days, as the second-seeded Diplomats edged the third-seeded and 20th-ranked Bullets 10-8 in the Centennial Conference men's lacrosse semifinals Wednesday evening at Tylus Field.

F&M (11-5), which rallied for a 12-11 victory over the Bullets this past Wednesday, used a 4-1 surge spanning the second and third quarters to open up a 10-5 lead with 13:18 left. Gettysburg (9-7) scored the game's last three goals, including two in the final minute, but the rally came up short.

The Diplomats move on to the conference championship game to face top-seeded and second-ranked Dickinson College, a 14-7 winner over fourth-seeded and 10th-ranked Washington College in the other semifinal. The Bullets (9-7) will now hope for an at-large bid in the NCAA Division III Tournament; the field will be announced Sunday night.

Junior Martin Manilla (Fairport, N.Y./Fairport) and freshman Jameson Smith (Glen Ridge, N.J./Glen Ridge) posted two goals and one assist apiece for Gettysburg while senior Evan Thomas (Ithaca, N.Y./Ithaca) added two goals. Sophomore Bijan Firouzan (Pittsburgh, Pa./Mt. Lebanon) contributed a goal and two assists while senior J.T. McCook (Miami, Fla./Gulliver Prep), playing the final 43:24 in goal, made eight saves and yielded the last five goals. McCook and sophomore Jack Harvazinski (Setauket, N.Y./Ward Melville) each picked up five ground balls.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website