No. 3 RIT Rallies, Nips Clarkson in OT for Liberty League Title

ROCHESTER, NY Junior Taylor Wisman (Seattle, WA/Inglemoor) scored with 2:28 to play in overtime, leading No. 3 RIT (16-2) to a 10-9 win over Clarkson (10-6) in the 2013 Liberty League championship on Sunday afternoon. The Tigers win their second straight league title and earn the automatic berth to the NCAA Division III Tournament.

"I am very proud of our whole team," said RIT Head Coach Jake Coon. "I am really happy for our seniors who go out having won four straight league championships."

Wisman, named Co-MVP along with Elliot Cowburn (Oakville, ON/Holy Trinity), scored three of RIT's last four goals, including the game-tying and the game winning goals. Cowburn was all over the field for RIT, grabbing six ground balls and causing three turnovers.

Wisman and Jack Krzyston (Bedford, NH/Bishop Guertin) led RIT with three goals apiece. Kyle Aquin (Hamilton, Ontario/St. Jean De Brebeuf) scored two goals, while Allister Warren (Toronto, Ontario/Malvern Collegiate Institute) and Eddie Kiesa (Syracuse, NY/Jamesville-Dewitt) each had a goal and two assists for the Tigers who advance to their 15th Division III Tournament and fourth in as many years.

Pat Johnston (Norwell, MA/Norwell) picked up his sixteenth win in net for the Tigers, making 11 saves earning All-Tournament Team honors. Joe Dupra (Pittsford, NY/Pittsford Mendon) had two ground balls, two caused turnovers and saved a ball off the goal line late in the game. Tyler Brooks-Lambert (Seneca Castle, NY/Midlakes) won 9 of 14 face-offs and had five ground balls earing All-Tournament Team honors.

Brendon Shearin led Clarkson with five goals, earning All-Tournament Team honors. Ryan Cole was outstanding in net for the Golden Knights, making 14 saves and earning All-Tournament Team honors, while Brian Freeland had two caused turnovers and four ground balls also earning All-Tournament Team honors. Corey Herrington had a goal and two assists for Clarkson who fall to 10-6 on the season.

RIT trailed 5-2 at the half, 8-5 after three quarters, but rallied with four goals in the fourth quarter, tying the game at 9-9 with 1:23 to play in regulation on Wisman's third goal of the game.

"Credit goes to Clarkson," said RIT Head Coach Jake Coon. "They played a great game, and (Ryan) Cole played extremely well."

The play started when Clarkson tried scoring into an open net off a 10-man ride. Shearin had a shot, but Dupra stood in the goal and made the save. Wisman scooped up the loose ball, bulled his way through four Clarkson defenders, drove to the net, and beat Cole with a good low shot, tying the game at 9-9. The goal was Wisman's 100th career point at RIT.

"The guys showed tremendous character to win in overtime," said Coon. "It shows how much we have matured from the beginning of the season to now."

The Tigers won the ensuing face-off and had a chance inside the last minute to win the game in regulation, but Warren's shot was wide of the mark, sending the game into overtime.

Brooks-Lambert won the opening face-off in the overtime period, giving RIT the all-important first possession. After a time out, Wisman gathered the ball up top and drove hard right to the net. He came back to his left hand and fired a shot past Cole, giving the Tigers the title.

Clarkson came out firing in the first quarter, taking a 2-0 lead on goals by Shearin and Peter Goss 6:13 into the game.

Aquin cur the Clarkson lead in half, scoring his 47th goal of the season off an assist from Warren with 3:10 to play in the opening quarter.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website