Cyclones' Season Ends with ECAC Semifinal Loss to Frostburg

READING, Pa. (May 11, 2013) The incredible journey for Centenary came to an end on Saturday as the Cyclones fell to Frostburg State in the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Mid-Atlantic region semifinal match 24-15, ending their 2013 season with a 13-4 overall record.

The Cyclones attacked right off the opening faceoff after Patrick Johnston (Glen Ridge, NJ, Glen Ridge) scooped up the ground ball off the draw and found Robert Nuzzolese (Woodbury, NY, Syosset) for the first goal of the game only 18 seconds in to put Centenary on the board up 1-0.

Not even a full minute later, the Cyclones took a pair of shots as Conor Nolan (Hillsborough, NJ, Immaculata) found the back of the cage to extend the lead out to 2-0 with 13:50 left in the opening quarter.

Just over a minute and a half after Nolan's goal, the Cyclones continued to attack the Frostburg State net as Nuzzolese was able

to tack on another pair of goals to extend the Centenary lead out to four goals.

Following a pair of penalties against Frostburg State, the Cyclone man-up team went to work as Cameron Gunn (Johnson City, NY, Johnson City) took a pass from Nolan and found the back of the cage for a man-up goal to put the Cyclones in front 5-0 with under 10 to play in the first quarter.

The Bobcats began to rally back with just over seven minutes remaining as they forced a Cyclone turnover and attacked with a pair of shots as Greg Bourne put Frostburg State on the board down 5-1.

Within 30 seconds, Nuzzolese and FSU's Devin Colegrove exchanged a pair of goals to bring the Centenary lead out to 6-2 before another pair of Bobcat goals cut the lead down to 6-4 heading into the second quarter.

Heading into the second quarter with a man-up situation to begin, the Cyclones wasted no time as Gunn put up another man-up goal only 11 seconds in to extend the Centenary lead to 7-4. Just over a minute later, Gunn and Nolan teamed up once again for another goal to double their lead with 13:17 remaining until the half.

Unfortunately the Bobcats began to respond right back as they rallied with seven straight goals over the next 10 minutes to take a 12-8 lead with just over three minutes to play in the half, forcing the Cyclones to call a timeout.

With just under two minutes to go in the half, the Bobcats continued to attack the Centenary defense as they posted another goal to take a 13-8 lead before Joey DeBiasse (Long Valley, West Morris High School) was able to attack the cage from the top of the zone to cut the lead down to 13-9 heading into the half.

The Bobcats came out of the half firing as they posted up a goal within the first minute of the third quarter, but the Cyclones answered right back with just over 10 minutes as DeBiasse found the back of the cage to cut the lead down to 14-10.

Unfortunately the Bobcats answered right back with three consecutive goals before Gunn was able to fire one to the top corner of the net to bring the score to 17-11 with just over seven to play in the third quarter.

Within the next minute, the Cyclones began to rally as Joshua Caven (Yardley, PA, Pennsbury) and Gunn added on a pair of Centenary goals to bring the deficit to within four goals but a costly penalty would lead to a Bobcats man-up goal as Frostburg State led 19-13 with just over three to play in the third quarter.

Following a pair of Bobcat goals, DeBiasse was able to step up for the Cyclones and add on a man-down goal with just under 11 minutes to go to bring the FSU lead to 21-14.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website