Outlaws Hand Nationals First Defeat; Hounds Derail Machine

In a battle of the best, the Denver Outlaws came out on top. The Outlaws handed the Hamilton Nationals, who entered the match-up as the only other unbeaten team in the league, a 22-9 defeat Saturday evening in front of 4,796 fans. Denver reached the 20-goal mark for the fourth time this season, breaking the franchise single-season record.

"In all my time [in the MLL], I can't remember a team going 6-0 to start the season," said faceoff specialist Anthony Kelly. "It's a great step in the right direction. It's a step for us to go to that next level and continue moving forward, and hopefully we stay at that No. 1 spot the rest of the way."

In his MLL debut following his graduation from the University of Denver earlier in the day, Eric Law was named the Player of the Game. The attackman netted four goals after earning the starting nod in the second half.

"To be able to get the opportunity to play [at Mile High Stadium] from [general manager] Tony Seaman and Coach [Stagnitta] is unbelievable and a lifelong dream come true for sure," he said.

* * * *

The Charlotte Hounds on Saturday night won their second-straight game, beating the Ohio Machine 13-7 in front of 4,291 fans at American Legion Memorial Stadium in Charlotte. Eric Lusby was named Player of the Game for a five-goal performance, which was a new personal best for the attackman.

The first quarter was a back-and-forth affair, as Logan Schuss gave the Machine the early 1-0 lead, but Lusby responded with back-to-back goals two minutes apart for the Hounds to take a 2-1 lead. Brett Garber tied the game at 2 all, and Schuss bounced one past Hounds goalie Adam Ghitelman for the 3-2 Machine advantage with 7:29 remaining in the quarter. But the Hounds reclaimed the lead on a two-point goal from Matt Danowski to end the first up 4-3.

After nine minutes of scoreless play to begin the second, Joe Cummings finally snuck a low shot past Ghitelman to tie the game 4-4. It would be the only goal of the quarter, and the teams went into halftime locked in a stalemate.

The Hounds came out and dominated the third, outscoring the Machine 8-2. Danowski opened the quarter with his second of the game, and Matt White followed with his first professional goal to extend the Hounds lead to 6-4. Cummings tallied his second of the game to cut the lead back to one, 6-5, but the Hounds responded with a five-goal run -- including the third of the night for each Danowski and Lusby -- to push ahead 11-5 with 5:18 to play in the quarter. Steele Stanwick finally stopped the run, catching a high pass and burying it to make it an 11-6 game. But that momentum didn't last long as Lusby scored his fourth of the game to close the quarter with the Hounds leading 12-6.

Marcus Holman scored just over three minutes into the fourth to cut the Hounds' lead to five, 12-7, but it would be the only goal the Machine would score that quarter. Lusby tallied his fifth of the night and the final 10:12 of the game went scoreless, accounting for the 13-7 final. The Hounds won the night's faceoff battle, as Tim Fallon went 12-23 at the X. They also out-shot the Machine 26-18 and recorded 30 groundballs to the Machine's 29.

The Hounds, in the midst of a three-game home stand, will next face the Boston Cannons (1-5) at 7:00 pm ET on Saturday, June 15. The Cannons are coming off a 16-14 loss to the Rochester Rattlers in Atlanta, GA.


Create a free lacrosse website