No. 2 RIT Storms Back to Win OT Thriller vs. No. 1 Stevenson

SYRACUSE, NY -- Junior Casey Jackson (Victoria, BC/Claremont) scored with 0.2 seconds to play in regulation, and Taylor Wisman (Seattle, WA/Inglemoor) scored with 2:17 remaining in overtime, giving No. 2 RIT (1-0) a thrilling 15-14 come-from-behind win over No. 1 Stevenson (1-1) at the Carrier Dome on the campus of Syracuse University on Saturday afternoon.

Down 13-7 heading into the fourth quarter, the Tigers outscored Stevenson 7-1 over the final 15 minutes, including four goals in the final 1:30 and three goals in the final 57 seconds to send the game into overtime. RIT trailed 14-8 with 11:25 left in regulation before making its thrilling comeback.

"We didn't play our best game today," said RIT head coach Jake Coon. "But we battled back and I was happy to come away with the victory. Give Stevenson credit, they are a great team, but we worked for everything we received today."

Jackson finished with five points on four goals and an assist in his first game in a Tigers uniform. Allister Warren (Toronto, Ontario/Malvern Collegiate Institute) had a goal and five assists, while Ryan Lee (Sharon, Ontario/The Hill Academy) and Kyle Aquin (Hamilton, Ontario/St. Jean De Brebeuf) each had two goals for the Tigers, who featured 10 different goal scorers. Pat Johnston (Long Beach, CA/Norwell (MA)) picked up his first win of the season in net for RIT, making 17 saves, including four in the fourth quarter.

Glen Tomkins led the Mustangs with five goals. Sam Wyatt added two goals, while Tony Rossi and Colin Dabney had a goal and an assist. Dimitri Pecunes made 14 saves in net for Stevenson.

Stevenson led 7-3 after one quarter of play thanks to a four goal spurt to end the quarter. Glen Tomkins and Matt Tompkins scored the first two goals of the game, giving the Mustangs a 2-0 lead.

Goals by Jackson and Matt Hossack (Port Perry, Ontario/Port Perry) 21 seconds apart, at 8:47 and 8:26 of the first, tied the score at 2-2 for the Tigers.

After a Tomkins goal made it 3-2 Stevenson, Mac Keehfus (Jamesville, NY/Jamesville-Dewitt) tallied his first goal of the season on an assist from Brad Gillies (Oakville, Ontario/St. Thomas Aquinas) tying the score at 3-3. The Mustangs ended the quarter with consecutive goals from Wyatt, Justin Buonomo, Stephen Banick and Connor Curro, taking a 7-3 lead into the second quarter.

Wyatt made it 8-3 Stevenson with his goal at 10:49 of the second quarter. Aquin scored a man-up goal off an assist from Warren 27 seconds later, making it 8-4 Mustangs. Late in the first half, Tomkins scored his third goal of the half giving Stevenson a 9-4 lead with 1:53 to play.

With time running out in the half, MacDonald took a feed from Hossack and scored with 0.2 second to play, pulling RIT to within 9-5 going into the intermission.

Stevenson would outscore RIT 4-2 in the third quarter to build what would seem to be an insurmountable six-goal cushion.

Aquin opened the second-half scoring at 13:15 of the third quarter off an assist from Warren cutting the Stevenson lead to 9-6. After a Mustangs goal made it 10-6, Lee scored his first collegiate goal at the 9:57 mark of the third quarter, cutting the lead to 10-7. Stevenson ended the third quarter on a three-goal run, taking a 13-7 lead on Tomkins' fifth goal of the game.

RIT began the rally in the final quarter, as Lee opened the scoring off an assist from Jackson, cutting the Stevenson lead to 13-8.

Tony Rossi scored what would prove to be Stevenson's final goal with 11:33 to play in the fourth quarter making it 14-8 Stevenson.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website