Wagner Defeats Monmouth in Four-Overtime Thriller

Staten Island, NY Sophomore midfielder Paul DeVita (Westfield, NJ/Westfield) buried a low, 10-yard blast from the right wing, his third goal of the game, after receiving a pretty feed from sophomore attack Griffen LeClaire (White Rock, BC/Toronto, Hill Academy) with 18 seconds remaining in the fourth overtime period to lift Wagner to a thrilling 7-6 victory over Monmouth today at Hameline Field.

With the win, the Seahawks even their season record at 1-1 while the Hawks fall to 0-2. The Green & White are next in action on Saturday, March 1 at 1:00 pm when Wagner hosts Saint Joseph's in the Northeast Conference (NEC) opener for both teams. Monmouth jumped out to a 5-2 lead after one quarter and took a 5-3 lead into halftime.

The Seahawks drew to within one goal at 5-4 when Griffen LeClaire slammed home an unassisted tally with 7:53 to go in the third quarter. The Hawks pushed the lead back to a two-goal advantage just 1:43 later when Chris Daly got loose in transition and hit the backof the net, after receiving a pass from Zach Johannes, at the 6:11 mark of the third quarter which made it 6-4.

Wagner got one back when Patrick McMenamin scored off of a Griffen LeClaire assist with 3:04 left in the third quarter to make it a 6-5 game. That's the way the score remained until DeVita notched his second goal of the afternoon off an assist by senior midfielder Matthew Shute (Suffield, CT/Suffield) with 6:34 left in regulation which sent the game into overtime.

* * * *

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. - Monmouth, in just its second game in program history, battled Wagner to four overtimes, but fell 7-6, as the Seahawks generated the game-winner with 18 seconds remaining in the fourth extra session. Monmouth, which was paced by freshman Chris Daly's (Wynnewood, Pa./Lower Merion) two goals and two assists, and classmate Kevin Murphy's (Lafayette Hill, Pa./Penn Charter) two goals, falls to 0-2 on the year.

Trailing 6-5 heading into the fourth quarter, Wagner netted the lone goal of the stanza, as Paul DeVita scored with 6:34 left to tie the game and send it to overtime. The Seahawks, who won all four faceoffs in the extra sessions, held a 9-6 edge in shots over the span, registered the game-winner with 18 seconds remaining in the fourth overtime, on DeVita's third tally of the contest, to give Wagner the 7-6 home victory.

Monmouth outshot Wagner 42-34, including 16-3 in the first quarter, junior Garret Conaway (Marriottsville, Md./Liberty/Essex-Howard C.C.) made 11 of Monmouth's 13 saves in the second half and overtime sessions. Freshman Nick Hreshko (Warrington, Pa./La Salle College H.S.) made two saves for the Blue & White.

"We are certainly disappointed with the outcome of today's game," stated head coach Brian Fisher. "Obviously when you play a multiple overtime game, you have to make a lot of good plays along the way to put yourself in position to win and we did that. Unfortunately, we had some mistakes throughout the duration of the game that ended up being the difference."

After falling behind 1-0 just 1:24 into the contest, the Hawks rattled off four straight goals to grab a 4-1 lead. Freshman Tyler Keen (Downingtown, Pa./Downingtown West) posted his second career goal, off an assist from junior Ryan Schwartz (Corning, N.Y./Corning East/Onondaga C.C.), his first career point, to knot the score at 1-1 with 9:05 left.

Daly assisted on the next two tallies for the Hawks, netted by junior Zach Johannes (Sparta, N.J./Pope John XXIII/Franklin & Marshall) and Murphy. The Blue & White took a 4-1 lead with 4:19 remaining in the quarter on Daly's first career score, as junior Ryan Horsch (Freehold, N.J./Freehold/Brookdale C.C.) found the rookie for the goal.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website