Seider, Siskind Lead Towson to Win Over Mount St. Mary's

TOWSON, Md. Towson men's lacrosse set a program record for fewest goals allowed in a Division I game with the Tigers' 9-1 defeat of Mount St. Mary's at Unitas Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Towson had a shut-out until 7:45 in the fourth quarter. The last time the Tigers gave up a single goal in a game was May 19, 1974 in a 22-1 victory over the University of Baltimore.

Freshman Joe Seider and senior Max Siskind led Towson with two goals apiece. Senior Thomas DeNapoli led all players with three points while junior JoJo Ostrander scored his first career goal.

"I'm excited for the guys; I thought we came out from the start and played with good energy and focus," said Head Coach Shawn Nadelen. "We were more dialed in on execution and controlling [possession] from the onset than we were against Georgetown.

"Obviously, Mount St. Mary's is dealing with a lot of injuries right now, but they came out and competed and made us earn opportunities on their defensive end. I thought our defense played pretty well today. [Towson's defense] limited [Mount St. Mary's] opportunities. I thought for the most part it was a pretty impressive 60 minutes for our guys."

Ostrander, a long-stick defenseman, opened the scoring, when he picked up a ground ball off a Mount turnover, ran down the field and scored. From there, Towson was off to the races. Siskind and DeNapoli teamed up twice in the first half, and the Tigers held a 6-0 lead at halftime. DeNapoli tallied the game's only goal in the third quarter before Seider and classmate Tyler Konen book-ended the Mount's goal. Mountaineer Robert Jones posted his fourth of the season off an assist from Mike Pascali.

Both goalies tallied double-figure saves. Chris Klaiber had 18 for The Mount while sophomore Tyler White stopped 10 shots for the Tigers. Towson out-shot MSM 40-21, won 25 of 39 ground balls and won the face-off battled 9-5.

Next Friday, Towson travels to Poughkeepsie, N.Y. to face the Red Foxes of Marist at 7:00 p.m.

* * * *

Towson, Md. (March 1, 2004)--Mount St. Mary's lost at Towson, 9-1, on Saturday afternoon in men's lacrosse action. Goalkeeper Chris Klaiber made 18 saves for the Mountaineers in the loss.

Towson (3-2) scored four times in the first quarter to take control of the game. Jojo Ostrander started the scoring just 2:24 into the game. Max Siskand added an extra-man goal with 5:27 left in the quarter, and Ben McCarty scored just over a minute later to make it 3-0. Ryan Drenner's goal with 2:03 left in the first pushed the advantage to four.

The Tigers stretched the lead to 6-0 at the half, and led 8-0 midway through the fourth quarter before Robert Jones scored on a feed from Mike Pascali to put the Mount (0-5) on the scoreboard.

Klaiber allowed nine goals while posting 18 saves for a .667 save percentage in the game. Nick Haley won 5 of 14 face-offs while Brandon Graham picked up a team-high three ground balls. Towson outshot the Mount, 40-21, in the game.

Mount St. Mary's is back in action on Tuesday, March 5, with a 4:00 p.m. home game against Johns Hopkins.


Create a free lacrosse website