Stevens Drops Tough Battle to Springfield

HOBOKEN, N.J. (March 1, 2014) Stevens Institute of Technology dropped a tough battle with Springfield College, 14-10, on Saturday afternoon at the De Baun Athletic Complex to fall to 1-2 on the season. Springfield is now 3-0 early on in 2014.

The Ducks opened the contest with two straight goals in the first five minutes from sophomore Michael Serrante (Bridgewater, N.J.) and senior Charlie Cronin (Northampton, Mass.). Serrante netted the game's first score just 2:27 in off a pass from sophomore Michael Ferentini (South Salem, N.Y.). Cronin then put Stevens up, 2-0, on an unassisted man-up tally at the 9:58 mark.

Springfield then ran off four consecutive goals in the first period over a 3:44 span to close out the first period with a 4-2 lead. Dylan Sheehan put away the Pride's goal at 9:03 and then Kevin Freeman knotted the action at 2-2 just 1:03 later. Sheehan gave Springfield its first lead at the 5:29 mark, and just 10 seconds later, Ryon Lynch capped off the first quarter run.

As the second period got underway, Tony LaGuerre gave the Pride a three-goal edge just 2:29 into the frame. Sophomore Andrew Scrutchfield (Lewes, Del.) scored Stevens' second man-up goal in the showdown nearly two minutes later to bring the Ducks back to within two, 5-3. Bryce Serriello put Springfield back up by three on his first of a game-high four goals at the just under five minutes into the second quarter. Scrutchfield then found junior Michael Maroon (Virginia Beach, Va.) for his first goal of a hat trick performance with 7:53 remaining which made the score, 6-4, in favor of Springfield. The Pride once again build a three-goal lead at the 5:55 mark on Lynch's second goal, but 40 seconds later, Ferentini ended the offense for both sides with his lone goal to make it a 7-5 contest heading into halftime.

Springfield seemed poised to pull away in the third quarter with three straight scores over the first 11 minutes of the quarter. Now trailing 10-5 with 4:08 on the clock, sophomore Brett Incollingo (Yardley, Pa.) won the ensuing face-off, picked up the groundball and netted his first goal of the season just five seconds after Springfield scored. Maroon cut the Ducks' deficit back to three, 10-7, with just over two minutes left in the third off a feed from freshman Connor Towne (San Jose, Calif.) for the final tally of period three.

Cronin opened the final quarter with his second man-up goal and second assist from Scrutchfield in the first minute. Springfield answered immediately to remain ahead by three scores, 11-8, just six seconds later. The Ducks continued to fight and got back to within a single goal at 11-10 on consecutive scores from O'Shea and Maroon from 13:39 to 10:39, both were assisted by Scrutchfield. The Pride put the game away with three goals in a 2:23 span after the 7:34 mark in the quarter.

Maroon paced Stevens with three goals, while Cronin netted two. Ferentini, Incollingo, Scrutchfield, Serrante and O'Shea all picked up one score. Scrutchfield dished out a game-best four assists, while Ferentine and Towne had one.

Incollingo also won 17 of 22 face-off and scooped up a game-high 12 groundballs. Senior Tim Culloty (Mahwah, N.J.) forced three turnovers and picked up six groundballs on the defensive end for Stevens.

Freshman Kevin Rafferty (Bay Shore, N.Y.) stopped eight shots in the losing effort. Springfield's goalie, Connor Nash made 13 saves.

Stevens outshot Springfield, 49-33, and won the groundball battle, 38-31. The Ducks also won 18 of 27 face-off, but were on the wrong end in clears, as the Pride converted on 15 of 17 and Stevens was 8 for 11. Both teams turned the ball over 15 times.

The Ducks are back in action on March 8 against No. 2 SUNY Cortland in a neutral site contest at Mitchell Athletic Complex in Uniondale, N.Y.


Create a free lacrosse website