Longwood Falls in Double Overtime Thriller at George Mason

FAIRFAX, Va. - Junior goalkeeper Christian Acker/Moorestown, N.J. logged a season-best 13 saves to anchor the defense, as Longwood fell, 13-12, at in-state opponent George Mason (1-2) in triple overtime on Sunday afternoon in Fairfax.

[Ed. note: Game appears to have been 2OT despite what's reported. There is a great deal of confusion about what constitutes an overtime, but the rule book is clear that they are 6 min. long despite the break in the middle to change ends.]

The Lancers led by three late in the second half before the Patriots fought back and scored the tying goal with just over a minute to play, forcing the first overtime. The teamed battled through two complete extra periods before Rachel Obergon scored the game-winning goal with just over two minutes remaining in the third overtime.

Senior Lauren Prasnicki/Lexington (2 goals, four assists) and junior Kacey Norwood/Chantilly (5 goals, 1 assists) tallied six points apiece to lead the Lancers' offensive effort. Longwood will return to action on Saturday, March 8 when the team travels to Jacksonville University for an 11:00 a.m. tilt.

"It was a well fought game," said head coach Elaine Jones. "Offensively, we had a lot of nice connections and goals, but unfortunately, some defensive lapses caught us."

George Mason took an early lead with three goals in the first six minutes of play. Norwood put Longwood on the board with an unassisted goal, but GMU scored once again just over a minute later to take a 4-1 advantage at 22:05. With just over 19 minutes to go in the first half, Prasnicki converted on a free position opportunity, sparking a five-goal run to put Longwood ahead, 6-4. The Patriots outscored the Lancers, 2-1, in the waning minutes of the half, but the visitors were still able to take a 7-6 edge into the break thanks to another goal from Norwood.

Coming out of halftime, George Mason scored back-to-back goals to pull in front, 8-7, with 24:37 remaining in the contest. Longwood was quick to answer, however, as sophomore Sarah Butler/Oakleigh South, Victoria, Australia connected with senior Mary Barondess/Centreville and Prasnicki found the back of the net unassisted to regain the upper hand at 9-8 with 15:31 to go. George Mason knotted the score less than a minute later, but Barondess and Norwood combined for three consecutive goals, putting Longwood ahead, 12-9 at 6:29. Mason fought back once again, though, scoring three goals in the final minutes of regulation to tie the score at 12-12 and force overtime.

Both sides recorded just one shot apiece in the first overtime, while neither was able to get a shot off in the second overtime. Despite the defensive battle, Obergon found a clear shot with 2:02 to go in the third overtime to earn the 13-12 victory.

In addition to Prasnicki and Norwood, Barondess had three goals and sophomore Katie McHugh/Burke recorded two of her own in the decision. McHugh and junior Liz Trainer/Ellicott City, Md. led the Lancers with two caused turnovers apiece.

Obergon totaled six points on the day for the Patriots, while Katie Mascolo added three apiece.

Sunday's contest marked just the second meeting ever between Longwood and George Mason in the sport of women's lacrosse. The all-time series is now tied, 1-1.


Create a free lacrosse website