Yeomen Get Nipped in Overtime by Albion

University Heights, Ohio – Oberlin suffered a heart-breaking overtime loss to Albion, falling 6-5 on Wednesday night at Don Shula Stadium on the campus of John Carroll.

With 1:38 left to play in the extra session, Alexander Dziewit gave the Britons the win on what was his second goal of the game.

"This is certainly a tough one to swallow," Head Coach Topher Grossman said. "We got off to a slow start, but I thought we settled in nicely. We had a lot of missed opportunities at the goal and in the end it cost us."

The Britons jumped on the Yeomen early, scoring two goals in the first period in a two-minute span. It would be the first time the Yeomen trailed at any point in this young season.

Albion would also add another tally early in the second quarter before the Yeomen warmed up. An unassisted goal from Matthew Fox at the 12:23 mark of the second period got Oberlin on the board and just over two minutes later Connor Jackson would cash in an Alex Wagman assist to cap the first half scoring.

The Yeomen would even the match at 3-3 35 seconds into the second half when Eric Hager deposited a man-up goal with the help of a Fox assist. Oberlin would go on to claim its first lead of the night at the 10:21 mark when John Firestone sent a shot through the legs of the Albion keeper.

The action-packed third quarter rolled on with Joel Hedemark tying the score at 4-4 before Nick Lobley put the Yeomen back on top with the help of a Wagman feed. However, the Britons would once again add the equalizer just inside the four-minute mark to setup a thrilling fourth quarter.

In the fourth quarter the Britons withstood a flurry of Yeomen shots, and fended off an Oberlin College man-up opportunity in the final 90 seconds to force overtime.

Albion (4-1) out-shot Oberlin 38-32, but the Yeomen won the ground-ball battle 43-28 and won 10 of the game's 15 face-offs.

Erickson Andrews had a strong game in goal with 14 saves and six ground balls.

Oberlin (2-1) will be back in action at Shula Stadium on Saturday afternoon against Capital University. The opening face-off is set for 1:00 p.m.

* * * *

UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Ohio – Alexander Dziewit scored two goals, including the game-winner in overtime, and Kyle Formanczyk collected seven saves in the fourth quarter and overtime as Albion earned a 6-5 victory over Oberlin in a non-league contest Wednesday night.

Dziewit and Dylan Neal, who produced a goal and an assist, finished the contest with nine shots apiece. Albion took six more shots than Oberlin, 38-32, in the contest.

“That was a very good Oberlin team,” Albion Head Coach Jake DeCola said. “They may have the strongest group we have faced so far this season.”

Kevin O'Grady and Neal scored first-quarter goals and Dziewit tacked on his first goal of the night two minutes into the second quarter as Albion forged a 3-0 lead.

Matthew Fox produced a goal and an assist and Connor Jackson and Eric Hager added scored as Oberlin rallied to tie the match, 3-3, early in the third quarter. Oberlin gained the lead on John Firestone's goal 4 ½ minutes into the third quarter.

Joel Hedemark scored the goal that tied the score at 4-4 and he assisted on a goal by Dominic Hamper with 3:58 left in regulation that forced overtime.

Oberlin won the overtime face-off and ripped three shots while holding on to the ball for 2 ½ minutes.

Formanczyk scooped up a ground ball after making his second save of the period. Neal took Albon's first shot, but it sailed high of the goal. Dziewit didn't miss.

Formanczyk was helped by an Albion defense that was successful on 18 of 19 clearing opportunities and limited Oberlin to one goal on eight extra-man opportunities.

Albion, 4-1 overall, will play the second in a stretch of four matches on the road Saturday when it challenges Concordia (Wis.).


Create a free lacrosse website