Hartwick Upended in Q4 by Oneonta State

ONEONTA, NY- Hartwick and Oneonta State were deadlocked at 5-5 heading into the final quarter, but the visiting Red Dragons outscored the Hawks 4-0 to come away with a 9-5 victory on Tuesday afternoon at Wright Stadium. For the Red Dragons, it is their first win of the season as their record stands at 1-4. The Hawks fall to 0-2.

The game was tight for over three quarters of play despite the Red Dragons outshooting the Hawks by a wide margin. It was 'Wick that had the upper hand early on as Roy Simmons (Fayetteville, NY/Fayetteville-Manlius) got Hartwick on the board first with an unassisted goal 32 seconds into the contest. Simmons would then assist Zach Gropper (Syosset, NY/Syosset) on his seventh goal of the season at 8:41 to make it 2-0. O-State tallied a score with 1:28 remaining in the frame to cut the Hartwick lead to 2-1.

Oneonta tied the game up 43 seconds into the second stanza on a goal from Connor Coyle. Midway through the period, the Red Dragons' Josh Heller scored unassisted to put O-State ahead 3-2 at 7:29.

'Wick responded with 4:53 left in the quarter when Mike Vaglica (Newton, MA/Newton North) found the back of the net to even the game at 3-all. A slashing penalty on the Red Dragons' Wesley Bank gave the Hawks a man-up opportunity. Hartwick cashed in when Simmons hooked up with Gropper again at 4:23 to give the Hawks back the lead, 4-3. It would be a short-lived advantage as Kevin Theofield scored with 3:46 remaining to even the contest at 4-4 going into halftime.

Oneonta State went ahead 5-4 with 9:07 showing on the game clock in the third period. The lead would stay in the visitor's favor until the 2:36 mark. A penalty on the Red Dragons' Jimmy Reiser gave 'Wick another man-up situation. The Hawks made good as Cody Ciolino (Nesconset, NY/Sachem North) connected with Vaglica to knot it up at 5-5.

Penalties on Kevin Rourke (Long Beach, NY/Long Beach) and Sean Brown (Pleasantville, NY/Pleasantville) at the end of the third stanza put the Red Dragons in an extra-man opportunity. The Hawks successfully killed off the penalty to keep the score tied up. O-State, however, would take the lead for good on Theofield's second score of the afternoon at 13:16 of the fourth quarter. Goals from Coyle, Devon Casey, and Josh Heller added to the lead as the Red Dragons held the Hawks scoreless in the last period to win the game.

Gropper and Vaglica both scored a pair of goals to lead Hartwick. Simmons scored once and had two helpers. Coyle, Heller, and Theofield all scored twice for the Red Dragons. Robert Neubert, Casey, and Mike Metzger all scored once.

Michael Rourke (Long Beach, NY/Long Beach) got the start in goal for the Hawks and had 15 saves. Justin Benigno stopped seven shots for Oneonta.

O-State led in shots, 58-24, and in ground balls, 35-22. Fred Golini (Ronkonkoma, NY/Sachem North) led the Hawks with four ground balls on the day. Reiser had six groundballs for the Red Dragons.

Hartwick will aim for its first win of the season when it travels to Farmingdale State on Saturday. Game time will be at 1:00 p.m.


Create a free lacrosse website