No. 10 Syracuse Hands No. 2 Johns Hopkins Its First Loss

BALTIMORE, MD In a game that saw 10th-ranked Syracuse and second-ranked Johns Hopkins combine for five three-goal runs, it was the Orange that scored two of the final three goals of the game to slip past the Blue Jays, 12-10, at Homewood Field Saturday afternoon. Syracuse, which led by four on two different occasions, improves to 4-2 with its second straight win, while the Blue Jays had a season-opening five-game winning streak snapped and slip to 5-1.

Syracuse led 3-1 and 7-3 in the first half and carried a 10-6 lead into the fourth quarter, but the Blue Jays needed just six seconds of the final period to score as sophomore Ryan Brown's sixth goal of the day came after Drew Kennedy won the faceoff cleanly and found Brandon Benn, who skipped a pass to Brown on the back side and Brown shoveled one past Dominic Lamolinara to make it 10-7.

It took Brown and the Blue Jays less than two more minutes to complete their second three-goal run of the game as Brown fired one into an open net from midfield and then scored his eighth of the game off a nifty pass from sophomore Connor Reed to make it 10-9.

The Orange, as they did throughout the game, answered as Nick Weston fired a 10-yarder past Johns Hopkins goalie Eric Schneider after Billy Ward's skip pass from the opposite goal line eluded the Blue Jay defense. Weston's goal came with the stall warning on.

When the Blue Jays got a goal from sophomore Holden Cattoni just 48 seconds later, and with junior Drew Kennedy dominating the game on faceoffs, the Blue Jays appeared to have the momentum with just over nine minutes remaining.

Two key turnovers for Johns Hopkins, one in the offensive zone with just over five minutes to play and another on a failed clear after a Schneider save with just more than three minutes on the clock, proved crucial and the Orange eventually got the insurance goal when Dylan Donahue isolated behind the goal and got just far enough above the goal line before firing one to the top shelf to account for the final scoring.

Syracuse threatened to put the game away early as Brown's first of the game less than two minutes in was answered by Kevin Rice, Scott Loy and Donahue to give SU a 3-1 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Drew Kennedy won 21 of 25 faceoffs against Syracuse.

Brown and freshman Nick Fields sandwiched goals around a Ward strike in the first five minute of the second quarter before Loy, Dylan Maltz and Henry Schoonmaker struck for unassisted goals in the final 7:05 of the second quarter to give the Orange a 7-3 halftime lead.

After winning 8 of 11 first-half faceoffs, Kennedy went to work early in the third quarter to fuel a three-goal run that pulled the Blue Jays within 7-6 less than six minutes into the second half. All three goals were scored by Brown, including an extra-man tally off an assist from John Crawley that made it a one-goal game with 9:13 left in the period.

The one-goal deficit was four just over five minutes later as Ward jump-started SU's third three-goal run of the game as he had time and room to unload off an assist from Loy and he fed Donahue in the slot for another goal two minutes later to make it 9-6. When defenseman Matt Harris scored on a fastbreak off a quick outlet from Lamolinara a short time later, it appeared the Orange were safe with the 10-6 lead entering the final period.

Brown's three-goal flurry to open the fourth quarter gave the Blue Jays a chance late, but they never pulled even after falling behind 2-1 early and Weston and Donahue's strikes in the final 10:26 proved to be the difference.

1 2 3    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website