Four Have Hat Tricks as Bears Roar Past Mountain Lions

YOUNG HARRIS, Ga. - Four Kutztown pplayers recorded hat tricks on Tuesday in a 19-6 rout over Young Harris in a non-conference match-up to give the Golden Bears its first win of the season.

The last time Kutztown scored 19 goals in a game was 2012's season-opening 19-4 win over Erskine.

Kutztown (1-2) featured nine different players in the scoring column with Taylor Stone (West Babylon, NY/West Babylon), Jillian Spencer (Sewell, NJ/Washington Township), Lauren Schlitt (Baldwin, NY/Oceanside), and Taylor Sandin (Freehold, NJ/Colts Neck) all knocking in three goals apiece.

The three goals is a career-high for both Schlitt, a senior, and Sandin, a sophomore. Stone scored a hat-trick once before during her sophomore campaign last season and Spencer's career-high goals in a game is five, which she achieved the last time the Golden Bears hit the field.

Kelli Serpi (Toms River, NJ/Manchester Township) and Brielle Dickey (Sewell, NJ/Washington Township) notched two goals each while Krystine Beodeker (Dingmans Ferry, PA/Delaware Valley), Cara Lord (Media, PA/Penncrest), and Devan Davis (Chester Springs, PA/Owen J. Roberts) each tallied one goal.

Spencer also grabbed two assists, four ground balls and a team-leading five draw controls. Sandin recorded two assists and three draw controls, and freshman Sarah Holmes (Stevensville, MD/Kent Island) was the final Golden Bear to grab a point with an assist.

On the defensive side, freshman Courtney O'Neill (Stratford, NJ/Sterling) led the team in both ground balls (5) and caused turnovers (3).

Senior goalkeeper JoAnn McLaughlin (Cape May, NJ/Lower Cape) spent to first 40 minutes in net, giving up four goals and recording one save. Freshman Abby Cox (York, PA/West York) finished the last twenty minutes, surrendering two goals and making one save.

Young Harris was the first to light up the scoreboard, scoring in the first 2:33. Schlitt then scored all three of her goals in a 12-minute span to put Kutztown up 3-1. Dickey and Stone accounted for the next five goals, and Spencer capped off the half with a goal in the final 1:06 to go up 9-3 at halftime.

After each team tallied a goal in the first four minutes of the second half, KU went on a six-goal run to go up 16-4 and put the game out of reach for the home team.

Kutztown outshot the Mountain Lions 39-10, with 32 shots on goal. The Maroon and Gold also won the draw control battle (17-10) and only coughed up nine turnovers.

KU will head to Hartsville, S.C. tomorrow, Mar. 19 for a 4:00 p.m. match-up with Coker College to wrap up the team's spring break trip.


Create a free lacrosse website