Utah Scores at 0:15 to Edge Utah Valley

Utah Utes beat in-state rival Utah Valley on Saturday in Provo by the score of 16-15. A goal by David Bicker with 15 seconds remaining in the game put the Utes on top of the see-saw affair with the Wolverines.

UVU scored the first goal of the game but Utah answered with three straight goals within two and a half minutes coming from Nash Cantrell (Boise, ID/Timberline HS), David Bicker (Salt Lake City, UT/Skyline HS) and Cody Cantrell (Boise, ID/Timberline HS). UVU would claw their way back and score two of their own to tie the game at 3. Utah Midfielder Dillon Tran (Cottonwood Heights, UT/Brighton HS) gave the Utes the lead at the 3:20 mark on a feed by Cody Cantrell to end the quarter at 4-3 for Utah.

Utah again went on a three goal run to begin the second quarter. Bicker had two of the goals followed by Matt Mersereau (Park City, UT/Park City HS) to give Utah a comfortable 7-3 lead midway through the second quarter. UVU would score when Bryce Fontenot found the back of the net off a great feed from Tanner Porter. Utah would answer with a man-up goal at the 3:57 mark to make the score 8-4. UVU scored another just before the end of the half to make the score 8-5 for Utah at halftime.

Nash Cantrell opened the scoring in the second half when his brother Cody dodged from X and found Nash cutting down the middle of the field. Nash was able to get a quick catch and shoot for the goal. UVU then went on a three goal run of their own with goals by Jesse Hansen, Porter and Sam Brigham to make the score 9-8 for Utah.

Tran scored his second goal of the day when he made a great individual play from the top of the box, beating his man and scoring to give Utah a 10-8 lead. UVU continued to battle and tied the game at 10 which is how the third quarter would end.

Utah jumped out to a two goal lead with tallies from Nash Cantrell and Tran. UVU pulled one back at the 11:30 mark when Hansen scored off an alley dodge. Utah scored on the ensuing face-off when Nash Cantrell found Mersereau cutting the down the middle of the field on the fast-break who then buried it in the back of the net.

Utah was flagged for a penalty and the Wolverines capitalized when Hansen had his back to the goal and was going for the loose ball in front of the crease. Instead of scooping, turning and shooting, Hansen simply shot the ball through his legs and it went in to make the score 13-12 for Utah with 10:43 to play.

After a set of scoreless possessions from each team, Utah extended their lead back to two goals with a goal by Nash Cantrell. Between the 6:00 and 3:24 mark, UVU scored three consecutive goals and would not quit, taking a 15-14 lead. T

he Utes were able to battle back and score with 30 seconds left when Bicker scored from just outside the crease on a feed from Tran on the wing. The Utes won the next face-off and this time Nash Cantrell found Bicker on the same play. Bicker caught and shot, giving the Utes the lead and the win with 15 seconds left to play.

"It was a close game and we knew that," said Utah Head Coach Rick Kladis. "We're trying to focus on our conference games and trying to get some younger guys to step up and put them in weird spots which showed."

Tran led the team with 7 points, 3 goals and 4 assists. Bicker had 5 goals for the Utes. Utah went just 13 of 32 from the center X. Utah Goalie Dalton Fontana (West Islip, NY/West Islip HS) had 18 saves in the win.

Utah will host another in-state rival this Friday when they take on the Utah State Aggies. The game will be at McCarthy Field on the University of Utah campus at 7:00 pm.


Create a free lacrosse website