Lycoming Nips Lebanon Valley in Breezy Contest

ANNVILLE, Pa. - Lebanon Valley could not complete the fourth-quarter comeback on Wednesday afternoon at Arnold Field, falling to Lycoming, 7-5.

The loss comes in the Commonwealth Conference opener for the Valley, who now sit at 4-3 overall on the season and 0-1 in conference play.

Senior Alex Beard opened the scoring for the game in the first on an unassisted tally and both teams traded goals throughout the opening quarter as Lycoming held a slim 3-2 lead at the break. The Warriors extended their lead with the only three goals in the second and third periods, moving into the fourth with a comfortable 6-2 advantage.

However, The Valley came out in the final quarter determined to make it a game. Senior Matt Roupe and Malik Pedroso notched tallies at the 6:28 and 4:14 marks to pull LVC within two at 6-4 and classmate Andrew Dennison scored another with 1:36 to play to make it a one-goal game.

Unfortunately, a loss on the ensuing face-off all but doomed the Valley as they were forced to take chances defensively and left a wide open Matt McCaffer in front of goal to put in the insurance tally for Lycoming and push the final score to 7-5.

Five different LVC players scored a goal as Pedroso, Beard, Roupe, Dennison, and senior Scott Travers were the producers. Travers also had his best game of the season in the face-off dot, winning 13 of 16 draws.

The Valley outshot Lycoming, 31-30, and held a 36-26 edge in groundballs. However, 19 Dutchmen turnovers proved to be costly, in addition to going 0 for 3 on extra-man opportunities.

Senior Mike Moll picked up his third loss of the year, making 12 saves between the pipes, while Lycoming's Alex Wylly was stout in goal, making 10 saves for the win.

Next up for the Valley is a trip to Messiah on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.

* * * *

ANNVILLE, Pa. A three-goal rally late in the fourth quarter helped Lebanon Valley pull within a goal, but a huge faceoff win led to senior Matt McCaffer's third goal of the game with 64 seconds left to help lead Lycoming to a 7-5 Commonwealth Conference win on Wednesday afternoon, March 26, at Arnold Field.

The win was a bit of sweet revenge for the Warriors (3-5 overall, 1-0), as the team fell to Lebanon Valley (4-3 overall, 0-1), 5-4, in 2013 with a spot in the Commonwealth Conference tournament on the line.

With a 6-2 lead midway through the fourth quarter, the Warriors fell victim to three Dutchmen goals over a five-minute span, with the last goal coming from Andrew Dennison with 1:36 left to make it a one-goal game.

The response, though, was quick, as the Warriors, who won just three faceoffs in the game, picked up a huge one when junior Trevor Williams (Rockaway, N.J./Morris Catholic) got to the ground ball. Less than 30 seconds later, sophomore Jake Wanamaker (Waldwick, N.J./Waldwick) found McCaffer (Marcellus, N.Y./Marcellus) for the goal with 1:04 left, helping seal the win.

The Dutchmen won the ensuing faceoff, but junior Alex Wylly (Columbus, Ohio/Worthington Kilbourne) came up with his final of 10 saves on a quick shot by the Dutchmen and the Warriors executed a clear. The Dutchmen couldn't get the ball back until there was 10 seconds left, helping secure the Warriors third straight win.

The Dutchmen scored two of the first three goals, but a goal from junior Steve Troup (Pittsford, N.Y./Pittsford-Mendon) with 6:04 left in the first quarter started a five-goal run over the next 44 minutes that helped put the Warriors in control of the game.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website