James Madison Comes Back to Edge Richmond

HARRISONBURG, Va., March 26, 2014 - James Madison lacrosse tallied two goals in the final 5:32 of action to secure the 8-7 come-from-behind victory over Richmond on Wednesday evening. The Dukes moved to 5-5 this season, while the Spiders dropped to 4-4 on the year.

After Richmond took a two-goal lead (7-5) at the 24:53 mark of the second half, JMU did not allow the Spiders to score again as the Dukes tallied the last three goals of the game. With both squads tied at 7-7 with 1:16 left on the clock, junior Ali Curwin (Pittsford, N.Y./Pittsford Sutherland) found senior Julianne Giles (Ellicott City, Md./Mount Hebron) on the left wing, who took the goalie one-on-one and fired a shot into the net for the game-winning eighth JMU goal of the day.

Curwin led the Dukes with five points on the day, including four goals. Her fourth goal was the game-tying goal (7-7) off a pass from junior Stephanie Finley (Media, Pa./Sacred Heart). Sophomore Taylor Gress (Westminster, Md./Manchester Valley) tallied four assists for the second-highest point total of the day at four.

The Spiders were led by Brooke Wilson who notched three goals. Charlett Stevenson added two goals for Richmond.

Junior Schylar Healy (Eldersburg, Md./Liberty H.S.) improved to 5-5 this season after allowing seven goals and committing four saves. Emily Boyce took the loss to fall to 4-4 on the year after allowing eight goals and committing six saves.

The Dukes outshot the Spiders 23-14, including a 14-7 advantage in the second stanza. They also held the 20-17 edge in ground balls and a 13-4 advantage in draw controls.

JMU opened with two quick goals, one apiece from Curwin and senior Amy Roguski (Sykesville, Md./Liberty H.S.) off passes from Gress. Richmond got on the board with an unassisted goal from Wilson, but a goal from redshirt freshman Betsy Angel (Baltimore, Md./Roland Park Country School) pushed the Dukes' lead back out to two goals (3-1).

Richmond tied the game at 3-3 with 13:44 left in the first half off back-to-back solo goals. Curwin and Gress connected for the second time to put the Dukes back in front at 4-3 with 11:17 remaining; however, a free-position goal by Richmond's Anna Jeszeck at the 9:59 mark of the first half tied the game for the second time at 4-4. The Spiders took their first lead of the day (5-4) with 4:40 left before halftime thanks to Wilson.

The Dukes opened the second stanza with a third connection between Curwin and Gress to knot the match at 5-5 just 39 seconds out of the locker room. Richmond notched the next two goals of the game to push its lead to two goals, its largest margin of the evening, before going scoreless for the final 24:53 of the game.

Giles started the 3-0 run for JMU at the 16:34 mark as she found Roguski for the score. The goal cut the Richmond lead to one (7-6) before more than 10 minutes would pass without either team finding net.

At the 5:32 mark, Finley found Curwin with a wide-open lane to the net to tie the game at 7-7. The squads traded shots with no results before JMU called a timeout with just under two minutes remaining.

After the timeout, Curwin drew the defenders to her before finding Giles open on the left wing. Giles took the goalie in a one-on-one battle and fired in the game-winning shot with 1:16 left on the clock. The Spiders only got one more shot at the goal, but the attempt went high and JMU secured the win.

JMU returns to University Park on Saturday, March 29 for a 3:00 p.m. game against San Diego State in the Dukes' annual Friends of Jaclyn event.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website