St. Mary's Scores Late to Escape with Win vs. Wesley

St. Mary's City, Md. Back-to-back goals by junior attackman Eric Simon (North Potomac, Md./Quince Orchard) lifted St. Mary's to a 10-8 win over Wesley Thursday afternoon.

Simon scored two goals in 45 seconds in the final 3:26 of the game to help the Seahawks snap their three-game losing streak and open Capital Athletic Conference action with a victory. Wesley fired off two more shots over the final two minutes but senior goalkeeper Zach Blewett (Darnestown, Md./Heights) was up to the challenge and denied both attempts.

Simon led the St. Mary's attack with his first career hat trick while junior midfielder Matt Tarrant (Mt. Airy, Md./Urbana) added three points on two goals and an assist.

The Seahawks (4-5, 1-0 CAC) started the game with a 2-0 lead at 12:18 behind goals from senior midfielder Gordy Long (Monkton, Md./St. Paul's) and Tarrant. Wesley's sophomore midfielder Sam Seibert (New Castle, Del./William Penn) cut the deficit to one at 10:43. Sophomore midfielder Nicholas Wilkinson (Huntingtown, Md./Calverton) then gave SMCM a 4-2 lead heading into the next period.

Wesley (4-3, 0-2 CAC) opened up the second quarter with three straight to stake its first lead of the game, 4-3 at 5:34. Junior midfielder Ian McDonald (Towson, Md./Towson) tied up the game for the Seahawks with a man-up goal at 3:06 but Seibert found the back of the net with 21 seconds left in the half to send the Wolverines into halftime with a 5-4 advantage.

Sophomore attackman Mike Rakos (Brooklyn Park, Minn./Osseo) finished the afternoon with two goals and an assist while sophomore midfielder Jack Redefer (Lewes, Del./Sussex Tech) dished out three assists. Seibert, senior Patrick Lipari (Kings Park, N.Y./Kings Park), and junior James Moss (West Chester, Pa./Unionville) each scored two goals.

Two St. Mary's scores sandwiched a Wolverine goal in the third period to keep the game knotted at 6-6 going into the fourth and final period. The Seahawks went up two goals at 9:54 but Wesley responded in kind with two goals in a 3:30-minute span for an 8-8 deadlock at 4:28.

Wesley outshot the Seahawks, 39-34, while St. Mary's edged the visitors, 29-28, in ground balls behind a game-best five loose ball pickups from junior LSM Collin Brown (Wernersville, Pa./Wilson Area). Sophomore midfielder Teddy Secor (California, Md./Calverton) picked up nine of the team's 13 face-off wins.

Blewett finished with 10 while junior Sam Kennedy (Columbus, Ohio/Upper Arlington) came up with 15 stops in Wesley's third straight loss.

The Seahawks hope to make it two in a row on Saturday, March 29th when St. Mary's travels to Buena Vista, Virginia, to take on Southern Virginia University. First face-off is slated at 3:00 p.m.

* * * *

ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. Wesley rallied from a two-score fourth quarter deficit to tie the score but St. Mary's scored the game's final two goals to defeat the Wolverines, 10-8 in Capital Athletic Conference action on Thursday afternoon at Seahawk Stadium. The loss drops Wesley to 4-3 overall and 0-2 in the CAC while St. Mary's moves to 4-5 on the year and 1-0 in league play.

Tied at six after three quarters of play, Brendan Steele tallied a man-up goal and Eric Simon scored his first of three fourth quarter goals to give the Seahawks a 8-6 lead with 9:54 left to play. Mike Rakos then cut the deficit in half for Wesley less than two minutes later with an assist by Jathan Mahaffey and James Moss tied the score at eight with an unassisted tally with 4:28 remaining.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website