Second-Half Surge Lifts Dartmouth Over Brown

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Eight second half goals rallied Dartmouth (5-4, 2-1 Ivy) past Brown (7-2, 2-1 Ivy), 10-9, on Saturday at Stevenson Field in a crucial Ivy match-up.

Kellie Roddy (7-2) hung tough for the Bears as she turned away seven shots while Kristen Giovanniello also stopped seven in the win to improve to 5-4.

Despite three goals from Bre Hudgins (Syracuse, N.Y.), the Bears let leads of 5-0 and 8-4 slip away against a pesky Dartmouth squad. Leading 7-4, the Bears lost co-captain Erin Roos (Wilmette, Ill.) for the remainder of the game after her second yellow card of the match with 23:10 to play. From that point on, Dartmouth took control of a shorthanded Brown defense, scoring six of the next eight markers, including Liz Calby's fourth tally of the game with just 14 seconds left to put the visitors up for good.

Danielle Mastro (Endicott, N.Y.) led the Bears with a career-high four assists to run her team-leading total to 18 on the season.

Brown's strong first half, led by goals from Roos, Hudgins, Kerianne Hunt (Alamo, Calif.), and Grace Healy (Bellport, N.Y.), propelled them to a 5-0 lead but Dartmouth grabbed momentum with two goals in the final 90 seconds to cut the deficit to 5-2 at the half.

Crucial draw controls by the visiting Big Green allowed them to take momentum back from Bears and eventually tie the game at eight on Jaclyn Leto's marker with 12 minutes to play. Richael Walsh (Westwood, Mass.) took a feed from Mastro and deposited it into the back of the net to give Brown a 9-8 lead with 9:55 left, but Dartmouth knotted the game three minutes later on a goal from Courtney Weisse.

After a turnover from Brown in the waning moments, the Big Green ran the clock down and eventually converted on Calby's strike with 14 seconds to play to seal the game.

Brown will battle Bryant on Tuesday for the Ocean State Cup with the opening draw control set for 4:00 p.m. on Bryant's Turf Complex.

* * * *

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Liz Calby scored with 14 seconds left in regulation to break a 9-9 tie and give Dartmouth its most memorable comeback victory in recent memory.

Brown held a 5-0 lead in the final minutes of the first half, but the Big Green never gave up and stormed all the way back to earn the 10-9 Ivy League win Saturday afternoon at Stevenson Field.

For Calby, it was her fourth goal and sixth point of the day that proved to be the winner, setting off an exuberant response from the Dartmouth sideline in the waning seconds.

With the win, the Green improved to 5-4 overall and 2-1 in league play. For the Bears, it was the first conference loss of the year, dropping them to 2-1 and 7-2 overall after beginning the spring with seven straight victories.

“I can't remember the last time we fell behind by five and came back to win,” head coach Amy Patton admitted after the game. “I told the team we were still on the bus for the first 25 minutes, but Liz's last-second goal in the first half was the turning point for us.

“We began to clamp down defensively in the second and played really well once the adjustments were implemented,” Patton continued. “I said at halftime that we need to take it one game at a time and we just let 30 minutes slip away from us. It was stressed that we needed to play a different game in the final half and I'm pleased with how the team responded to that adversity.”

It wasn't until 1:31 remained in the first half that the Green and White managed to find any offensive success as Calby scored her first. She added another with one second left in the opening half on a free-position attempt to make it a 5-2 game at the intermission.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website