Titans Edged by Quinnipiac in Overtime Thriller

DETROIT (3/28/2014) -- Neither team led by more than two goals and the Titans looked like they were going to squeak one out, but a late tally by Quinnipiac in the fourth and then the game winner in overtime sent the University of Detroit Mercy to a 10-9 setback on Saturday on Titan Field.

Senior Alex Maini (Lynbrook, N.Y./Lynbrook) and junior Scott Drummond (Birmingham, Mich./Seaholm) each had a hat trick, while junior Shayne Adams (St. Catharines, Ont./Denis Morris) finished with a pair of markers. Freshman Jason Weber (Whitby, Ont./Christ School (N.C.) made 12 saves and sophomore Damien Hicks (Copiague, N.Y./Copiague) tied his career high winning 14 of 22 faceoffs as well as picking up seven ground balls.

Detroit (4-5, 1-1 MAAC) trailed 8-7 early in the fourth, but with 8:10 left, junior Brandon Beauregard (Clarkston, Mich./Notre Dame Prep) was able to feed senior Tom Masterson (London, Ont./St. Thomas Aquinas) and he tied things all up. UDM would then take a 9-8 lead with 3:33 remaining as Beauregard came up with another assist finding Adams for his second marker of the contest.

The Titans were a little more than a minute away from victory, but Quinnipiac (3-4, 2-1 MAAC) was able to net a goal with just 1:08 on the clock to knot it at 9-all, the seventh tie of the afternoon. In overtime, the Bobcats appeared to win the game at the 3:37 mark, but just as Ryan Keenan put in the game winner, Quinnipiac called a timeout and that goal was nullified. When play resumed, the visitors took control and scored just 30 seconds later.

Detroit outshot Quinnipiac, 41-35, and won the battle of ground balls, 36-30, but the Titans were just 11 of 17 in the clear game. The top ranked man-up unit in the NCAA continued its dominance going 3 of 4 on the day to move its line up to 69.4% (25 of 36) and the man-down defense allowed just two goals in six opportunities, including killing off three penalties in the second half.

Detroit started the scoring with the extra-man advantage as Adams picked up a ground ball and beat the keeper just 22 seconds into the game. UDM would take a 2-1 lead at 11:05 as Drummond was able to fire one in. The Bobcats scored two in a row to jump out in front, but junior Mike Birney (Plymouth, Mich./Catholic Central) located Drummond and he squared things at 3-3 with just 21 seconds remaining.

The second stanza saw Detroit take advantage of a two-minute non-releasable infraction on Quinnipiac as Maini found the back of the net twice for a 5-3 lead, but the seesaw match-up continued as the Bobcats scored a pair to make it a 5-5 game. Drummond, though, was able to strike again to get his hat trick with just 31 seconds to go for a 6-5 lead at the break.

Quinnipiac tied it at 6-6 at the 9:50 frame in the third, but the red, white and blue jumped ahead as Maini scored with 1:57 on the clock. This time Quinnipiac was able to come up with a late goal with three ticks left in the period and another with 13:08 remaining in the contest to take an 8-7 lead.

Adams also finished with a season-high six ground balls, while Weber had four. Junior Chris Shevins (Merrick, N.Y./Mepham) had two caused turnovers and two ground balls and senior Nick Garippa (Rochester Hills, Mich./Notre Dame Prep) finished with three GB's and an assist.

The Titans will continue their three-game home stand next Saturday as they welcome Marist into Titan Field. Game time is set for 11:00 a.m.


Create a free lacrosse website