USM Drops LEC Opener to Eastern Connecticut

GORHAM, Maine -- Eastern Connecticut used a balanced offense to defeat Southern Maine, 15-1, in the Little East Conference opener for both teams Saturday afternoon at Hannaford Field.

The win was the third in the last four games for the Warriors, and improved their overall record to 5-4. The Huskies dropped to 1-6.

Senior Mike Devine (Cheshire, Conn.) and sophomores Tim Reilly (Hanover, Mass.) and Nick Carisio (Cheshire, Conn.) had three goals apiece for the Warriors. Devine and Reilly each also picked up an assist for a four-point game.

Sophomore Blake Smaldone (Hamilton, Mass.) started in goal and picked up the win by making one save over the first 40 minutes. Sophomore Brendan Gillotti (Danbury, Conn.), junior Richard Squires (Norwalk, Conn.) and rookie Demetri Vernadakis (Columbia, Conn.) all took a turn manning the Warrior cage over the final 20 minutes.

Senior Dylan Kenney (Portland, Maine) had the Huskies lone goal. Freshman Seth Wing (West Gardiner, Maine) picked up the assist. Sophomore goalie Ryan Jurgelevich (Portland, Maine) made 17 saves in a losing effort.

The Warriors displayed a patient offense to score the game's first nine goals. Sophomore Cody Carbone (North Reading, Mass.) opened the scoring three minutes into the first quarter. Devine tacked on two goals to increase the Warriors lead to 3-0, and Reilly netted his first with 1:29 to go to make it 4-0 after one quarter.

Devine beat Jurgelevich for his third goal of the day early in the second quarter. Reilly followed with two more scores to make it 7-0. Junior Chris Barnett (Wilton, Conn.) closed out the first-half scoring 1:32 before halftime.

Rookie attack Richie Miller (Weston, Conn.) opened the third quarter with the Warriors' ninth goal. The marker came just seven seconds into the quarter as a man-up situation was expiring.

Kenney got the Huskies on the board at 9:32 with a man-up goal from up top after taking a pass from Wing.

Carisio scored three times before the end of the quarter as the Warriors outscored the Huskies, 6-1, for the period increasing their margin to 14-1.

Eastern Connecticut out shot USM 49-17 and won the battle for ground balls 31-19. Eastern Conn. also converted three of six man-up situations. Sophomore faceoff man Tyler Vallie (Orange, Conn.) won 11 of 12 draws and scooped up a game-high eight ground balls.

Southern Maine returns to action on Tuesday (4:00 p.m.) playing Husson University in a rescheduled non-conference game. Eastern Connecticut is off until next Saturday (1:00 p.m.) when it hosts the University of Massachusetts Boston in Little East Conference play.


Create a free lacrosse website