No. 2 Cortland Erupts in Second Half to Derail No. 19 Oneonta

ONEONTA, N.Y. Freshman Kristen Ohberg (Brewster) scored her three goals and sophomore Erica Geremia (Camillus/West Genesee) recorded four assists after halftime, as No. 2 Cortland outscored 19th-ranked Oneonta, 12-3, in the second half to earn a 17-7 win in SUNYAC action Tuesday afternoon.

Geremia finished with a game-high six points on one goal and five assists, while Ohberg added two assists for a five-point game for the visiting Red Dragons (8-0, 2-0 SUNYAC). Junior Emma Hayes-Hurley (Huntington) led all players with four goals.

Junior Marilyn Farrell (Fayetteville/Fayetteville-Manlius) netted three goals, senior Taylor Reh (Miller Place) and sophomore Ashley Gentile (Baldwinsville/C.W. Baker) each scored twice and senior Taylor Robinson (Manlius/Fayetteville-Manlius) and sophomore Tara Monaghan (Stony Point/North Rockland) found the back of the net once.

Sophomore goalie Liz Ingalls (Centerport/St. Anthony's) stopped nine shots and allowed seven goals in 52 minutes, 58 seconds for Cortland. Freshman Jaclyn Beshlian (Wantagh) turned aside the only shot she faced on goal in 7:02. Gentile collected a team-high five ground balls, and Ohberg added three. Monaghan and Hayes-Hurley won six and four draw controls, respectively, while Gentile caused a game-high three turnovers.

Nicole Boylan led six Oneonta goal scorers with two tallies. Nikki Fioretti, Casey Sarle, Chelsea Collins, Kiera McNally and Michelle Genovese each scored once for the home Red Dragons (6-4, 1-1 SUNYAC). Stefanie Rodriguez contributed an assist. Goalie Amanda Reichardt registered 13 saves, Fioretti and Marissa Makar registered five ground balls and Sarle won six draws.

After an evenly matched first half in which Cortland grabbed a 5-4 lead on Monaghan's goal with just under a minute remaining, Cortland built a 10-4 lead with a five-goal outburst in the first 5:14 of the second half as five different players scored. Boylan stopped the run 20 seconds later to make it a 10-5 game, but the visiting Red Dragons took control of the contest with another five-goal rally, highlighted by three scores from Hayes-Hurley, for a 15-5 advantage with 15:44 remaining. The teams traded the final four goals in the closing 10 minutes for the 17-7 final.


Create a free lacrosse website