Ospreys Soar Past Privateers

GALLOWAY, N.J. (April 5, 2014) Maritime dropped a Skyline Conference match-up on Saturday evening to the Stockton Ospreys by the score of 17-5.

In the opening quarter, the Ospreys opened up a 5-0 advantage that stuck into the second quarter of play. In the period, sophomore Mike Arnold (Plainedge, N.Y./Plainedge) made seven saves on Stockton's first 12 shots on target.

Stockton picked up its sixth unanswered just under four minutes into the second quarter. Several minutes later the Privateers responded with their first tally of the contest.

On a clearing attempt gone awry by Stockton netminder Eric Leonard, the Privateers scooped the loose ball up in their own end of the field, sophomore Matt Hayes (Baldwin, N.Y./Baldwin) cutting to the right shot across his body towards the opposite post and buried Maritime's first goal of the game.

The Ospreys collected three more goals through the remainder of the period, while senior Andrew Scalesi (New Fairfield, Conn./New Fairfield) picked up an unassisted tally towards the end of the half on a running shot along the right wing and send the game into halftime with Stockton leading 9-2.

Maritime opened up the scoring in the second half to make the score 9-3. After Arnold collected a save in cage, the Privateers cleared the ball up the field flawlessly as senior Dylan Larmony (Old Bethpage, N.Y./Plainview JFK) took the ball into the offensive zone, a quick feed in front to rookie Colin McCoy (Glen Allen, Va./Greenport), who was all alone, planted the ball home for the Privateers' third goal of the contest.

Stockton scored three unanswered to close out the third period, and took a 12-3 lead into the final 15 minutes of regulation.

The Privateers were first to strike again in the fourth quarter as well, as Hayes threw the ball behind for freshman Zachary Pace (Monroe Township, N.J./Monroe Township). The rookie then picked up a ball uncontested after dropping it and rolled around to the front of the cage and dropped a left-handed shot into the goal to trim the deficit to eight.

The Ospreys put together a three-goal stretch down the stretch of the game to take a 15-4 lead with just over three minutes to go in regulation. Larmony got in on the scoring action with a swinging low-liner shot off a quick feed from sophomore Kevin Connolly (Babylon, N.Y./Babylon). Stockton scored twice more to cap off the scoring at 17-5.

Final statistics saw Stockton outshoot Maritime by a 62-24 margin, while also leading in turnovers by a 34-19 differential. The Privateers held the advantage in faceoffs as Hayes was 16 for 23, and Scalesi was 2 for 2 on draws.

Arnold in goal finished the game with 13 saves in 57:08 minutes on the field, freshman Alex Haim (Youngstown, N.Y./Lewiston Porter) came on to finished the final 2:52 of regulation without making a save. Eric Leonard got the start and the win for Stockton while making six saves in the first 30 minutes of play, Pat Quinn stopped five shots in 21:06, while Nick Pearl allowed the one shot he faced into the goal and did not make a save.

Sophomore Jonathan Strezenec (Merrick, N.Y./Calhoun) and junior Jordan Rose (Levittown, N.Y./Holy Trinity) led the defensive unit with a pair of caused turnovers each. Strezenec also led the team with five ground balls, while followed closely by Scalesi, who ended the game with four.

Maritime (4-8, 0-3 Skyline) will next play on Monday evening at Merchant Marine at 7:00 p.m. from Kings Point, N.Y. Stockton (10-3, 2-1 Skyline) will head to the road to take on non-conference Rosemont on Monday afternoon at 4:00 p.m.


Create a free lacrosse website