Valiants Victorious in Four-Overtime Victory at Bard

ANNANDALE-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. Manhattanville picked up its first win of the season on Wednesday in a thrilling 8-7 four-overtime victory over the Raptors of Bard.

The Valiants came together and defeated a .500 Bard team thanks in part to a three goal, two assist performance from freshman Andrew Murray (Yonkers, N.Y./Archbishop Stepinac) who continues to impress in his rookie season. The game-winning goal, his thirteenth of the season, was scored by sophomore attacker Connor Normandin (Stratford, Conn./Bunnell) at the 3:12 mark of the fourth overtime.

In a game that was tightly contested the whole way through the Valiants continuously responded to Bard's attempts to pull away. The first half was a tale of two midfielders as Bard's Henry Blosfelds and Manhattanville's Andrew Murray (Yonkers, N.Y./Archbishop Stepinac) scored all three goals of the first half for their respective sides.

After Blosfelds picked up the first goal of the game at the 13:33 mark of the first quarter, Murray tallied back with two goals at the 8:14 mark of the first quarter and 10:12 of the second quarter. Trading punches like two heavyweight boxers Blosfelds quickly tied the game back up with 8:29 remaining in the second, with Murray and the Valiants responding just 39 seconds later to regain the lead. Blosfeld, picking up his third goal of the game with 2:42 remaining in the half, sent the teams to halftime knotted at three.

The Valiants continued firing on all cylinders the second half as freshman attacker CJ Paniccia (Locust Valley, N.Y./Locust Valley) scored his sixth goal of the season, giving the Valiants a 4-3 lead. Bard would respond however, scoring the next three goals with two of them coming from freshman attacker DJ Peters and the third coming off the stick of Matt Livermore with just 1:08 remaining the third quarter.

The Valiants resiliency proved unwavering as the team responded time and time again throughout the fourth quarter. Trailing 6-4 junior midfielder Cory Balog (Hamden, Conn./Hamden) converted a man-up opportunity off a beautiful assist from freshman Andrew Murray (Yonkers, N.Y./Archbishop Stepinac).

With 6:30 remaining in the fourth quarter Bard increased their lead to two on Livermore's second goal of the game, coming on a man-up opportunity. On the ensuing faceoff win from midfielder Jack Polak (Longmeadow, Mass./Longmeadow), freshman Connor Daly (Rockville Center, N.Y./South Side) immediately broke down-field and sniped a shot past Bard goaltender John Henry Glascock to bring the Valiants back to within one with 6:20 left to play.

With just 25 seconds to play in the fourth and the Valiants down one, Bard defender Will Hughes picked up a crucial slashing call to give the Valiants a man-up opportunity for the remainder of the game. Just 12 seconds later Connor Normandin (Stratford, Conn./Bunnell) tallied what would be the first of two of the largest goals in his career as he rifled a shot past Glascock to tie the game at seven with only 13 seconds to play.

After playing the first three overtimes to a draw the Valiants would finally put an end to their losing streak early in the fourth overtime. Coming off a timeout and with possession, Connor Normandin (Stratford, Conn./Bunnell) completed the comeback for the Valiants with 3:12 remaining in the fourth overtime. After cutting from behind the net, Normandin was greeted by a horde of Raptor defenders and somehow managed to get a shot off that snuck its way past Glascock and ended the Valiants curse.

Freshman goaltender Ian Reill (East Rockaway, N.Y./East Rockaway) was solid in between the pipes recording 12 saves in the game, including five in overtime. The win gives the Valiants an unmeasurable amount of confidence which they'll need for their stretch of four Freedom Conference games to close out the season. Enjoy the victory ladies and gentlemen. Thanks to it, there is still much to be played for this season.


Create a free lacrosse website