Brown Rallies from Four Down but Falls to No. 13 Yale in OT

Providence, R.I. - Brown rallied from four goals down at the half to send the game into overtime, but Yale's Michael Bonacci scored 1:11 into overtime to lift the Bulldogs to a 7-6 win at Stevenson Field Friday night. Brown falls to 6-5 overall, 1-3 in the Ivy League, while #13 Yale improves to 7-3 overall, 3-2 in league play.

Yale built a 6-1 lead midway through the second quarter on a goal by Conrad Oberbeck with 7:42 remaining in the quarter. Sophomore Bailey Tills' (Denver, CO) goal with 4:14 left in the half drew the Bears to within 6-2 at intermission.

Brown got back in the game with great goaltending and tough defense, holding Yale scoreless for the entire second half and for over 38 minutes on the clock. Bears' sophomore Brendan Caputo (Westbury, NY) scored the game's lone goal in the third quarter as Brown chipped away to trail, 6-3, heading into the final quarter.

Brown goals by junior Tyler Landis (Coppell, TX), Caputo and sophomore Kylor Bellistri (Potomac, MD) with just 1:15 remaining sent the game into overtime, 6-6.

In overtime, Dylan Levings captured the face-off to give Yale possession, and Bonacci scored after a Brown slipped down on the turf.

Caputo and Landis led the Bears with two goals each. Bears' sophomore goalie Jack Kelly (West Islip, NY) made seven second half saves and 10 saves overall.

The Bulldogs were led by Sean Shakespeare, who netted two goals, while Eric Natale registered 10 saves in the Yale net.

The difference in the game came in the turnover column with the Bears turning the ball over 21 times, while forcing 14 Yale turnovers.

Brown is back in action again next Saturday, April 19, traveling to Ithaca, NY to battle Yale. Face-off is 12:00 p.m. at Shhoellkopf Field.

* * * *

PROVIDENCE, RI The wild and successful Yale men's lacrosse season added another chapter with a crucial, 7-6 overtime win against Brown tonight at Stevenson Field.

Michael Bonacci's shot from 15 feet out on the left side hit the net with 2:49 left in the extra session to give the Bulldogs (7-3, 3-2 Ivy) a third straight win and put them a step closer to a spot in the league's post-season tournament.

The wild part was the vastly different halves, not to mention the finish. Yale jumped out to a 6-1 lead and took a 6-2 advantage into halftime. The defense completely shut down the Bears ability to get open looks while holding the home team to four shots in the first quarter and 12 over the first 30 minutes.

The second half was a different story. Brown scored all five goals including a late one that sent the game to overtime at 6-6.

Dylan Levings, who won 11 of 17 face-offs for the Blue, took the ground ball from the X in OT. His squad never lost possession of the ball. After moving it around and sharing a lot of touches, Bonacci, the sophomore from Crofton, Md., took a pass and made a spin move that made the Brown defender lose his balance. As soon as Bonacci realized he had an opening, he fired the ball past Jack Kelly for his eighth goal of the year.

Sean Shakespeare scored twice a man up while Conrad Oberbeck, Colin Flaherty, Jeff Cimbalista and Eric Scott had the Elis' other scores. The Blue converted three of their six extra-man chances.

Eric Natale's 10 saves helped Yale to a fifth straight win against the Bears and put the Blue in the driver's seat to defend its consecutive Ivy League Tournament championships.

The Bulldogs, nearing the end of a four-game string of road games, have a unique contest coming up next. The first meeting of Yale and Michigan is next Saturday at historic Michigan Stadium. This is also the final road game of the regular season.

The Elis, finally back at Reese, complete the non-league season by hosting Quinnipiac on April 22 before the Ivy and regular season finale against Harvard on April 26, which airs live on Fox College Sports TV at 1:30 p.m.


Create a free lacrosse website