Siena Clinches MAAC Berth with OT Win at Detroit

DETROIT (4/12/2014) -- In another game that came down to the wire and into overtime the third on the year for Detroit Siena was able to mount a late rally and spoil UDM's Senior Day as University of Detroit Mercy was edged, 9-8, in overtime on Saturday afternoon.

The win moved Siena to 7-4 overall and 4-0 in the MAAC, while Detroit dropped to 5-6, 2-2 in league action.

Prior to the game, Detroit honored its' nine-member senior class in Tyler Corcoran, Troy Dennis, Nick Garippa, Joe MacLean, Alex Maini, Tom Masterson, Tim Robertson, Drew Schupbach and Tyler Staruch.

Juniors Shayne Adams and Scott Drummond each had two goals, while Maini tallied two assists. A week after making a school record 23 saves, freshman Jason Weber had 18 in net with four ground balls and three different Titans came up with a pair of caused turnovers.

The game was tied seven times and the biggest lead on the day was just two, but three-straight Detroit goals in the fourth gave the red, white and blue an 8-7 lead with just over five minutes left.

Siena was able to knot it back up at 8-8 with 4:02 remaining and Detroit held off several offensive attempts by the Saints in the last few minutes to force overtime. In the extra session, Nate Berry was able to score his second-straight marker less than a minute in for the game winner.

Masterson and juniors Mike Birney and Brandon Beauregard each had a goal and an assist and Dennis finished with a goal, a caused turnover and two ground balls. Masterson also had two caused turnovers as did junior Joe Gifford and sophomore Paul Bitetti. Sophomore Damien Hicks was 8 of 15 on faceoffs with three ground balls and Bitetti and Adams each had three GB's apiece.

Just like last week, Detroit was able to score first and it came off the crosse of Dennis as the Senior CLASS Award finalist found the back of the net for his first marker of the season and his first since 2012.

Siena came back with two goals, but it was tied 2-2 with 2:13 left in the first as Maini set up Adams for his 28th of the season. The Saints would take the lead back a minute later, but with less than 20 seconds left in the period, Birney was able to feed Drummond to square things at 3-3.

Just two goals were notched in the second as the Saints took a 4-3 advantage midway through the period only to see Drummond beat the keeper for a 4-4 game at the break.

Siena grabbed a 5-4 lead in the third, but back came UDM as the duo of Maini and Adams got together to tie it up at 5-5 with 3:59 left in the period. That is when Siena tallied two in a row, one late in the third and the other nearly two minutes in the fourth, to open the biggest lead of the day by either squad, 7-5, with 12:59 remaining.

It stayed that way until Detroit capitalized on a man-up situation as a pair of 1-minute penalties was assessed to Siena's Joe Arcarese and as that was winding down, another 30-second penalty was called and Masterson was able to locate Birney for a goal to make it 7-6 at the 9:20 mark. About 50 ticks later and Beauregard was able to fire one in net and once again it was tied, this time at 8-8.

Detroit would then take an 8-7 lead with 5:04 left as Beauregard set up Masterson, but Siena came back to tie it - for the seventh time of the contest - at 8-8 with four minutes on the clock. In the last two minutes, the Saints would control the ball and get four shots off - including one that hit the post - but a save by Weber would help send the game into overtime.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website