Hartwick Drops Heartbreaker to Elmira, 9-8, in Overtime

ONEONTA, NY- Hartwick fought back from a late two goal deficit to force overtime but visiting Elmira scored in the extra period to win 9-8 over the Hawks on Saturday afternoon at Wright Stadium. The loss drops 'Wick to 2-8 overall and 0-5 in the Empire 8. The Soaring Eagles improve to 2-7 and notch their first Empire 8 win.

The Hawks took their first and only lead of the day at 12:29 of the first quarter on Mike Vaglica's (Newton, MA/Newton) unassisted goal. EC, however, would score four straight times to go up 4-1 at the end of the frame.

Hartwick climbed its way back into the contest as the defense held the Purple and Gold scoreless in the second period. 'Wick scored twice; the first time was on a Sean Brown (Pleasantville, NY/Pleasantville) to Matt McCallan (Bay Shore, NY/West Islip) connection at 9:58 and the second goal came just over a minute later when Vaglica hooked up with Roy Simmons (Fayetteville, NY/Fayetteville) to make it a 4-3 game at halftime.

In the third quarter, EC's AJ Bourdon was called for tripping. With an extra-man opportunity, the Hawks took full advantage as Vaglica assisted Cody Ciolino (Nesconset, NY/Nesconset) on the score to even the game at 4-4. The Soaring Eagles countered with two goals from Brady Richards to go ahead 6-4 at the 7:16 mark. 'Wick answered with two more scores to again even the game up but EC tacked on a goal with just under two minutes remaining in the third stanza to go up 7-6 heading into the final quarter of play.

The score remained 7-6 in the Soaring Eagles' favor for almost half of the fourth frame until Elmira's David Evert scored his second goal of the game to push the Purple and Gold's lead to 8-6 at 8:01. The Hawks refused to go down without a fight as they rallied to tie the game. Zach Gropper's goal at 4:42 made it 8-7 and then Gropper tied the game up at 8-all with 1:51 remaining in regulation.

Hartwick won the ensuing faceoff and was positioned to score the game-winning goal. After a timeout, Hartwick looked to net the winning score in the waning seconds but Ciolino's shot was wide of the cage and the game went into an extra period.

In overtime, EC won the faceoff. The Soaring Eagles controlled possession for 1:24 until Dustin Gatt scored to end the game and lift the visitors to the win.

Ciolino, Gropper, and Simmons all scored twice for 'Wick. Vaglica and McCallan both added one score. Brown tallied three helpers while Vaglica had two and Ciolino one. Michael Rourke (Long Beach, NY/Long Beach) had four saves in goal.

Every and Richards both had a hat trick for the Soaring Eagles. Dustin Gatt netted two scores. Christian Archambeault had one goal. Evert dished out a team-high three assists. Wyatt Katsos stopped 11 shots in the cage.

The Hawks led in shots, 45-32, and in ground balls, 36-28. Rourke and Gropper both had a team-high four ground balls. EC was 1 of 5 on the extra-man opportunity while 'Wick was 1 of 3.

Hartwick returns to action on Wednesday when it travels to face Houghton in the first ever meeting between the two schools. Game time will be at 4:00 p.m.


Create a free lacrosse website