No. 6 Johns Hopkins Shuts Down Mount St. Mary's

Emmitsburg, Md. (April 14, 2014)--Mount St. Mary's fell to No. 6 Johns Hopkins, 17-2, on Monday afternoon at Waldron Family Stadium. Senior goalkeeper Chris Klaiber made 19 saves for the Mountaineers.

Johns Hopkins (8-3) built a 12-0 advantage before the Mountaineers were able to breakthrough on the scoreboard with the clock winding down in the third quarter. Leading scorer Bubba Johnson was able to bury a shot on a pass from Kyle McDonough with four seconds left in the third to put the Mount on the scoreboard.

Clayton Wainer notched his 11th goal of the year for the Mount to open the scoring in the final quarter, but Johns Hopkins scored the final five goals of the contest to earn the 17-2 victory.

Johns Hopkins outshot the Mount, 57-14, in the game while holding a 47-19 advantage in the ground ball department.

Klaiber's 19-save effort was his sixth game with double digits in saves this year. He had 20 saves against Georgetown and 18 against Towson earlier this season.

Wells Stanwick led Johns Hopkins with six assists while Brandon Benn and Jack Grass each had three goals in the game.

Mount St. Mary's is back in action on Saturday, April 19, when Wagner visits Waldron Family Stadium for a 12:00 p.m. match-up. It is the Mount's final home game of the season, and the team will honor its senior class prior to the game.

* * * *

EMMITSBURG, MD - The sixth-ranked Johns Hopkins men's lacrosse team had 11 different players score goals and 13 players had at least one point as the Blue Jays topped host Mount St. Mary's, 17-2, at Waldron Family Stadium Monday afternoon. Johns Hopkins moves to 8-3 on the year with its third straight win, while the Mountaineers slip to 0-14.

Playing less than 48 hours after an emotional 11-6 win over rival Maryland, the Blue Jays led just 2-0 at the end of the first quarter as the Mount stayed in a tightly packed zone defense. Back-to-back goals in the first three minutes of the second quarter doubled the lead as junior Wells Stanwick found seniors Brandon Benn and Kevin Interlicchio alone on the crease in a 48-second span to push the lead to 4-0.

Johns Hopkins controlled a majority of the possession in the first half by winning 8 of 10 faceoffs and slowly began to find seams in the Mount zone. Benn added his second of the first half on a quick-stick from the doorstep less than four minutes after Interlicchio's goal and freshman John Crawley had a hand in two straight late in the period, scoring an unassisted goal on a wing dodge and then getting the helper on Benn's third with 1:02 left. A transition goal by freshman Nick Fields off the ensuing faceoff accounted for an 8-0 Blue Jay lead at the half.

The lead swelled to 12-0 by late in the third quarter as freshman Cody Radziewicz, junior Brady Faby, Interlicchio and Holden Cattoni all scored in a span of less than eight minutes to build the 12-goal lead.

The Mountaineers finally broke through in the final seconds of the third quarter as Bubba Johnson beat Blue Jay goalie Eric Schneider with a low shot off an assist from Kyle McDonough and the Mount made it two straight at the 10:29 mark of the fourth quarter when Clayton Wainer scored from the wing.

Both teams substituted liberally in the fourth quarter with Johns Hopkins freshman attackman Jack Grass doing most of the damage with three goals and one assist in the final nine minutes of the game. Sophomore Liam Giblin and senior Greg Edmonds also scored in the final quarter for the Blue Jays, who played a total of 45 players in the game.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website