Golden Bears Finish Strong to Defeat UNE

BIDDEFORD, Maine -- Western New England tallied the final five goals of the contest over the closing nine minutes to break away from a tied game and pick up a 14-9 Commonwealth Coast lacrosse victory over the University of New England on Saturday afternoon (Apr. 19) at the Big Blue Turf.

The win was the sixth in the last seven outings for the Golden Bears (7-7, 6-1 CCC), while after back-to-back wins, the Nor'easters drop to 5-11 overall (2-5 CCC).

The contest featured three ties in the opening period (3-3) before WNE gained a three-goal advantage in the 2nd and led 7-5 at halftime. UNE rallied in the 3rd frame (3-1) to level things at 8-8, but following an exchange of scores to begin the 4th, the visitors pulled away down the stretch. The Golden Bears were 3 for 3 in extra-man opportunities in the last quarter.

Senior Adam Knapton (Canandaigua, N.Y.) led the way for Western New England, netting four goals to go with two assists. Classmates Colton Craig (Cales Ferry, Conn.) and Owen Caruso (Port Washington, N.Y.) added three markers apiece. Senior Jesse DeLucca (East Lyme, Conn.) controlled the face-off X for the Golden Bears, taking 20 of 26 draws and collecting 17 ground balls.

For Big Blue, senior Patrick Wolfe (Phippsburg, Maine) notched a game-high five goals. First-year Dan Auger (Nashua, N.H.) and sophomore Sam Cloutier (Lewiston, Maine) chipped in with two each, and first-year Andy Curro (Niskayuna, N.Y.) dished out three helpers. Senior Dan O'Gorman (Punam Valley, N.Y.) had a team-best six ground balls.

Sophomore goalie John Dusel (Wilbraham, Mass.) posted 13 saves between the pipes for UNE, which was out-shot by a 41-31 margin.

The Nor'easters will look to qualify for the upcoming CCC tournament on Wednesday (4:00 p.m.) with a visit to Wentworth Institute of Technology in the regular-season finale.

WNE returns home to face Gordon College the same evening (7:00 p.m.). The Golden Bears received five stops from junior Cam Gormley (Crofton, Md.) in the final 22 minutes to secure the decision, after classmate Brandon Body (Newtown, Conn.) turned away three shots in the initial portion of the match.


Create a free lacrosse website