Hartwick Falls Late to Mount Saint Mary

NEWBURGH, NY- In a game that featured seven ties and lead changes, it was host Mount Saint Mary that came out on top with two late fourth quarter goals to defeat Hartwick 16-15 on Tuesday afternoon. The game was rescheduled from February 26 due to weather conditions.

The Hawks fell behind 4-1 in the first quarter. The Knights won the opening face-off and scored just 15 seconds later to take the early 1-0 lead. They would score again on a man-up opportunity to go up 2-0 at 12:31. Hartwick got on the board on a Mike Vaglica (Newton, MA/Newton North) to Sean Brown (Pleasantville, NY/Pleasantville) goal 50 seconds later but the Mount scored twice more to lead 4-1 after the first period of play.

'Wick rallied in the second frame with tallying four straight goals, with three coming from Cody Petillo (Holbrook, NY/Sachem North), to overtake the Knights and lead 5-4 at the 10:56 mark. Mount Saint Mary rattled off three goals to retake the lead and go up 7-5 with 4:12 left on the clock. The two teams would exchange goals in the final four minutes of the quarter as the home team led 9-7 at halftime.

The Knights increased their lead to three goals early in the third stanza on Shaun McMahon's fifth goal of the afternoon. The Hawks answered back with another four-goal outburst to retake the lead and go ahead 11-10 at 6:27. The Blue Knights countered with a three-goal run to go up 13-11 heading into the final quarter.

The fourth period was a tense battle as the lead changed hands three times. 'Wick began the period with three scores to take back the advantage and go ahead 14-13 with 8:14 left to play in the contest. Mount tied it up at 14-all at 7:34. The Hawks again would go up by one score on an unassisted goal by Brown at 6:14.

The Blue Knights netted the third tie of the period at 2:27 and then took the lead for good with a score at 1:33. Mount Saint Mary won the ensuing face-off, but Kevin Rourke (Long Beach, NY/Long Beach) forced CJ Cardo to turn the ball over and picked up the ground ball with 40 seconds to play. Hartwick cleared the ball and called a timeout with 30 seconds left to potentially tie the game for the fourth time in the stanza.

Roy Simmons (Fayetteville, NY/Fayetteville-Manlius) got a shot off thatwent high of the cage with 15 seconds remaining. 'Wick maintained possession but a Simmons' turnover with four ticks left gave the ball back to the Blue Knights who ran down the clock to pull out the victory.

Cody Petillo netted a season and career-high four goals to lead the Hawks. He also had two assists. Brown added three goals and one assist. Vaglica, Zach Gropper (Syosset, NY/Syosset) and Nick Oliver (Mahopac, NY/Mahopac) all had a pair of scores each. Simmons and Evan Petillo (Holbrook, NY/Sachem North) both scored once. Michael Rourke (Long Beach, NY/Long Beach) had eight saves in goal.

The Knights were led by McMahon and Jake Robison's five goals. Cardo had a hat trick. Joseph Rizzotti, Sebastian Cina Jr. and David Hobbs notched one goal apiece. Connor Haran stopped 10 shots in goal.

Hartwick lost despite leading in both shots, 42-33, and in ground balls, 54-41. The 54 ground balls tied a season-high. Taylor Lee (Germantown, NY/Red Hook) had a team-high nine ground balls and won 20 face-offs.

The Hawks also tied a season-high in caused turnovers with 12. Kevin Wahl (Farmingdale, NY/Farmingdale) led 'Wick with three and also had six ground ball pickups.

Hartwick concludes its 2014 season on the road against Alfred on Saturday. Game time will be at 1:00 p.m.


Create a free lacrosse website