Photos/Recap: Syracuse Scores Twice Late to Defeat Duke

CHESTER, Pa. – Redshirt sophomore Dylan Donahue (Camillus, N.Y.) scored with one second left to lift No. 4 Syracuse (10-3) to a thrilling 16-15 victory over No. 2 Duke (12-3) in the semifinal round of the ACC Men's Lacrosse Championship Friday, April 25 at PPL Park.

Photos of the game by Ben Mackey appear on the last two pages of this post.

Donahue's goal capped a furious rally that saw the Orange score six of the game's last seven goals to advance to the conference championship game. Syracuse will face either Maryland or Notre Dame for the ACC title Sunday, April 27 at 1:00 p.m. on ESPNU.

Donahue's winning goal came after midfielder Billy Ward (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) tallied the equalizer with just 15 seconds left. Ward fired a left-hander lazer past Duke goalie Luke Aaron after receiving an incredible behind-the-back pass from Randy Staats (Six Nations, Ontario, Canada) to tie the game, 15-15.

Senior Chris Daddio (Purcellville, N.Y.) won the ensuing faceoff and the ball ended up in the stick of Kevin Rice (Skaneateles, N.Y.) near the top of the box. Rice whipped a pass inside to Donahue, who spun and scored just before the final buzzer.

“Obviously very excited we got the win today,” SU head coach John Desko said. “Duke came out and they're a terrific team. We made some mistakes and they took advantage of every single one of them. Fortunately, we got a couple faceoffs at the end and these guys (Rice and Donahue) made a great play to get the win for us in our first time in the ACC Tournament.”

Donahue finished the game with four goals and two assists. Rice tied the ACC Tournament single-game scoring record with eight points (three goals, five assists). Ward, Derek Maltz (Ashburn, Va.) and Hakeem Lecky (Nantucket, Mass.) chipped in with two goals apiece.

The game played out like a heavyweight fight with both sides stringing together lengthy scoring runs. Duke went first using a 3-0 surge to take a 5-2 advantage into the second quarter. The Orange responded with consecutive goals by Lecky, Rice, Staats and Maltz to claim a 6-5 lead with nine minutes to go before the half.

As expected, Duke answered back, closing the half with four straight goals, including one each by Josh Dionne and Case Matheis in the last minute. Matheis' tally with five seconds left pushed the Duke edge to 10-8 at the break.

Duke stretched its lead to 12-8 on by goals by Dionne and Jack Bruckner in the first two minutes of the second half before a Galasso goal stopped the Blue Devils' 6-0 scoring spree at the 9:11 mark of the third quarter. Galasso's score was the last by either team until Donahue finished a Rice feed with 38 seconds left on the clock to close the third-period scoring.

Just like in the previous quarter, Duke opened the fourth with two goals in the first two minutes to retake a four-goal lead, 14-10.

Then Donahue took over. He scored one goal and assisted on two more in a 4-0 Orange run that tied the game at 14-14 with 4:29 to play in regulation.

An unassisted goal by Jordan Wolf gave Duke a one-goal advantage with 3:15 to play. It was a margin the Blue Devils clung to until Ward and Donahue delivered in crunch time to propel Syracuse to victory.

After allowing 10 first-half goals, the Orange defense held the potent Blue Devils to just five after intermission. Goalie Bobby Wardwell (Clifton Park, N.Y.) keyed the effort with eight saves in the last 30 minutes to earn the win and improve to 6-0 on the year.

1 2 3 4 5    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website