No. 18 Albany Nips Stony Brook in OT in Am. East Semifinal

Stony Brook played in one of the greatest games in America East Championship history, but the Seawolves fell short against No. 18 Albany, 17-16, in overtime.

Sophomore Matt Schultz (Smithtown, N.Y.) and junior Mike Andreassi (Holbrook, N.Y.) scored three goals apiece to lead Stony Brook (6-10).

Sophomores Challen Rogers (Coquitlam, British Columbia) and Brody Eastwood (Victoria, British Columbia) each scored two goals.

Miles Thompson led Albany (10-5) with seven goals and two assists. Lyle Thompson added five goals and three assists.

Freshman Hayden Johnstone (Toronto, Ontario) made 13 saves. Freshman Kyle Rowe (Vienna, Va.) recorded career-highs of 21 face-off wins and 15 ground balls.

Head Coach Jim Nagle's Reaction: "I can't say enough of how proud I am of this team. At the most pivotal time of the season, we played our best lacrosse. We had a lot of growing pains this season as we were one of the youngest teams in the country. A game like this only helps our guys gain experience. Albany has one of the best offenses I've ever seen and it takes so much to hold them down. It's important to limit the other guys and we did a pretty good job of that tonight."

Junior Mike Andreassi: "We've worked all season for this opportunity. Our record doesn't show how good of a team we have. This is a game we're going to use as we get ready for next season.

Sophomore Chris Hughes: "We came together as a team, riding a roller coaster all season. I can say we made the most of our opportunity. We just wish we could have come out on top.

Freshman Hayden Johnstone: "Our defense was super energized. We worked on our slides all week long in practice and I can't say enough about the guys in front of me. Our defense played so well. A couple of tough bounces went against us."

Stony Brook came back from a four-goal deficit after three quarters to tie the game at 15 on Rowe's fourth goal of the season with 7:44 left in the fourth. Rowe won the draw, saw daylight and, before being pushed in the crease, scored as he lay flat on his stomach.

Andreassi's man-up goal with 3:44 left in regulation gave the Seawolves their first lead since early in the second quarter. Down 16-15, Albany caused a turnover and got the ball back with just over a minute to play in the fourth. With under 10 seconds left, Lyle Thompson created offense and his shot sneaked by Johnstone with five seconds left, tying the game at 16.

Albany went early on the face-off in overtime, giving the ball to Stony Brook. After the Great Danes called timeout, Rogers shot with 3:42 left was saved by Blaze Riorden. After a good clear, Lyle Thompson found Doug Eich just outside the crease for the game-winning goal.


Create a free lacrosse website