Photos/Recap: #2 Orange Rallies, Defeats #11 Loyola in OT

SYRACUSE, N.Y. The No. 2 Syracuse lacrosse team scored the last three goals of regulation and twice in overtime to record a come-from-behind 14-12 victory against No. 11 Loyola in its regular-season finale in the Carrier Dome. The Orange improves its record to 18-2 overall, its best regular-season record in school history.

Photos of the game can be found on the last three pages of this post.

Senior Alyssa Murray (West Babylon, N.Y.) led Syracuse with eight points on four goals and four assists. She increased her career point total to 340 and moved into second place on the Orange's all-time scoring list, moving past Christina Dove, who amassed 335 points from 2007-10.

Loyola (15-5) recorded five consecutive goals in the second half to take a 12-9 lead with 5:40 to play in regulation. That's when Syracuse's senior class, which was honored in a pregame ceremony, took over. Bridget Daley (Guilderland, N.Y.) won the ensuing draw and Murray started the Orange's comeback with an unassisted goal. Syracuse again won the draw but turned it over in its offensive end. Loyola gained possession and called timeout. Murray caused a turnover on the clear attempt and Daley picked up the ground ball. Murray again found the back of the net with 4:13 on the clock to cut the deficit to one at 12-11.

The Greyhounds won the draw but a pass by Marlee Paton was intercepted by senior Liz Harbeson (Annapolis, Md.). Syracuse worked the ball into its offensive end and sophomore Kayla Treanor (Niskayuna, N.Y.) was awarded a free position with 46 seconds remaining in regulation. After an Orange timeout, Treanor converted the free position attempt on a low bounce shot to even the score at 12-12. Loyola had the last possession of regulation, but Orange goalkeeper Kelsey Richardson (Memphis, N.Y.) intercepted a Paton pass to force overtime.

Loyola won the opening draw of the first three-minute session of overtime, but senior Natalie Glanell (Davidsonville, Md.) caused her fourth turnover of the day to give the ball back to the Orange. Senior Katie Webster (Syracuse, N.Y.) took advantage when she found the back of the net on an assist from Gabby Jaquith (Cazenovia, N.Y.) to give Syracuse the lead for good. The Orange had the final possession of the first OT session, but couldn't get a shot off.

Junior Kailah Kempney (Carthage, N.Y.) won the draw to open the second three-minute extra session, but the Orange turned the ball over. Syracuse applied defensive pressure on the clear and Harbeson again caused a turnover. She picked up the ball and put a shot past Loyola goalkeeper Molly Wolf for her first career goal to give Syracuse a 14-12 lead with 1:52 remaining. The Greyhounds won the ensuing draw, but Webster caused a turnover and Syracuse ran out the clock for the come-from-behind victory.

"Great senior day just an amazing game and fun to be a part of," said Syracuse head coach Gary Gait. "That is an excellent Loyola team. We knew they were going to be good, another top 20 opponent. It was a great way to finish off the year. We love to play a tough schedule. I am proud of our players. It wasn't our best game a ton of turnovers but we rallied. We didn't give up down by three and we got back and found a way to tie the game and give us a chance in overtime. It is actually probably a great experience to have before going into the (NCAA) tournament, a game where we had to come back and get it done."

Murray sparked the Orange offense to start the game as she either scored the goal or had the assist on Syracuse's first six goals as it led 6-1 at the 16:14 mark. Loyola netted three straight goals to cut the lead to 7-4 before Treanor shoveled the ball into the back of the net on a backhand shot to end Syracuse's scoring drought of more than 11 minutes. Annie Thomas scored the first of her two goals at the 1:35 mark to cut the Orange's lead to 7-5 at intermission.

1 2 3 4 5 6    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website