Hampden-Sydney Upends Roanoke in OT in ODAC Semifinals

SALEM, VA Hampden-Sydney shocked #1 seeded Roanoke 14-13 overtime in the ODAC semifinals on Saturday afternoon in Salem, VA. The Tigers advance to their first ODAC title game appearance since 2002 and will meet the winner of #2 seed Washington & Lee vs. #3 seed Lynchburg. The game will be played at Roanoke College at 2:00 pm on Sunday.

Hampden-Sydney capitalized early on a rusty Roanoke team that hadn't played in two weeks. Jake Koferl (Huntersville, NC/Lake Norman), Duncan Morris (Charlottesville, VA/Christchurch), and Abbot Wallenborn (Crozet, VA/Western Albemarle) posted the first three goals of the contest midway through the first quarter. Roanoke ended their drought when Clarke Lewis found the back of the net at 6:50, and Josh Sibio cut the deficit to 3-2 at 4:49. Koferl scored his second goal of the quarter with just six seconds remaining.

Koferl completed the hat trick with the first score of the second frame at 13:48, but the Maroons quickly seized momentum eight seconds later off a Will Pilat goal. Joey Dishaw needed just 20 seconds to trim the deficit back to one goal, 5-4, and then Marquis Terrell tied the game at 12:03. Tyler McWilliams, Kevin Jackson, and Pilat scored the last three goals of the half as the Maroons finished off a 6-0 run to go into intermission ahead 8-5.

Roanoke extended the run to seven straight off a Chad Smith goal at 11:23 to make 9-5. Koferl and James Hughes (Raleigh, NC/Middle Creek) tallied the next two to make it 9-7 at the 7:38 mark, but Colin Rossano put one in the back of the net at 2:39 to put the Maroons ahead 10-7 going into the fourth quarter.

Will Carter made it an 11-7 contest just 24 seconds into the fourth. Wallenborn posted one of his three fourth-quarter goals to help spark the comeback at 8:28, and Thomas Armstrong (Charlotte, NC/Charlotte Latin) added one at 7:43 to cut into the lead 11-9. Michael Lintner scored nine seconds later off the face-off to try to stem the Tigers momentum, but it proved futile. Wallenborn scored again at 6:44, and Morris wasted no time to draw the game within one, 12-11, at 6:20.

Max Kraus won the ensuing face-off and Dishaw buried a turnaround shot into the top left corner to put the Maroons up 13-11 at 5:44. Roanoke won the next face-off, and Spencer Parsons had his shot go off the cross bar at 5:01. David Noftsinger (Richmond, VA/Collegiate School) stopped a shot at 4:17 and the Tigers gained possession. Armstrong fed Morris at 2:05 to get within one, 13-12. Roanoke goalkeeper Charles Pease was flagged for a one-minute slashing penalty, and the Maroons called a timeout. Koferl took the face-off off a Casey Bendall (Richmond, VA/St. Christopher's) ground ball, and Wallenborn pocketed a man-up goal off a Mike Funk (Chantilly, VA/Middleburg) pass to tie the game with 1:26 remaining in regulation.

Koferl corralled the final face-off of regulation to give H-SC the final possession. Koferl's shot with 13 seconds left was blocked and another went high and out of bounds at the five-second mark. Fleet Jernigan (Kill Devil Hills, NC/First Flight) got one last shot off just before the buzzer, but Pease narrowly deflected it out of bounds to send the game to overtime.

Roanoke won the opening face-off in overtime and called a timeout at 3:46. Kevin Jackson had his shot saved, but Steven Jackson picked up the groundball in front of the net and reeled off a wild, over-the-head, backwards shot to give the ball back to the Tigers. The Tigers cleared the ball and used their timeout at 2:41. Roanoke's pressure defense caused Hampden-Sydney to drop the ball, but Armstrong picked up the ground ball and found Hughes on a broken possession as he scorched the back of the net to win the game with 1:56 on the clock.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website